Archinect
anchor

Brilliant Marketing Strategies for Architects

vado retro

its all a part of structural architecturalism.

Aug 23, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

agreed.

Aug 23, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Interesting points A. Since I don't have as strong a background in marketing, I won't dispute your assertions about the impulse buying trends of the general public; they also seem pretty consistent with day-to-day observation. It’s just so irrational that people would put more thought into pizza toppings than what kind of car or home would best suit their needs. The word "needs" is critical here because so much modern marketing philosophy is primarily an effort to blur the lines between "wants" and "needs" in the mind of a potential customer/client. No one "needs" a Hummer or 1000 sq.ft. of living space per family member, but somehow people come to "want" these things.

I feel it’s much easier to conflate these meanings when selling tangible products because you can distract with “shiny, new, bigger, faster, hip.” Although these adjectives can often apply to the end result of design, I view architecture and design as services, and things get a little murkier in terms of assessing their value, especially to an ill-informed consumer base. Per your second paragraph, let’s assume we’re dealing with Bob & Wendy Homeowner…not architecture savvy, but looking to remodel, add-on, renovate, etc.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but a larger corporate firm is not likely to invest the marketing resources into educating and enticing folks like this. It already has a reputation among its potential clients (as in your case) so it’s competing with similar firms for similar work ($$, complexity, scope, etc). For a smaller, “boutique” office, it seems like Bob & Wendy might be ideal candidates for the kind of work that office is trying to land. So marketing strategies will be just as customized for who is doing the marketing as they are for which target market is being pursued.

I think Orhan’s letter is focused more towards the smaller client and, pulling back to my thoughts on different marketing approaches, I guess what I appreciate about the tenor of Orhan's letter is its honesty. Maybe it's the Gen-Xer in me that is really sensitive to marketing hype, so the way to market me is to rationally explain things and maybe teach me a thing or two. As liberty bell stated in the Architectural Beliefs thread: ”give a little, to get a little (or a lot).”

Since most people like Bob & Wendy may not know or understand what value an architect brings to a project, a letter like this is not only good for Orhan’s firm, but good for the profession in general. Perhaps it will also make Bob & Wendy a little less capricious in the decisions they make about their home. Maybe they bought the home for the hot tub, shag carpet, and the conversation pit, but with a little more perspective, perhaps they’ll reallocate their budget towards the longer-term and enabling design elements of their remodel.

Sorry 'bout the long post. I think we generally agree with each other A, so I might've just regurgitated your points with a bunch more words. What'dya think?

Aug 23, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Well. I think the ultimate self-promoting masterstroke would be to tell others that you did your undergraduate studies at the American Taekwondo Academy.

Aug 23, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
A

Broccolijet - Sounds like we agree. I like what Orhan has to say in his marketing speech. Bob & Wendy home owner should know all that information and getting it said is important. This thread is eye opening to me just to hear how everyone is marketing themselves. Business cards in magazines - genius!

My only skepticism goes back to a personal experience a few years back. A church congregation had a RFP for a new religious school. Small project in school terms, but still $10m, so maybe beyond botique firm status. Several firms interviewed, and they were all large (30+ staff) corporate firms.

The committee that selected the architect was just some church members. Regular Bob & Wendy types living the McMansion dream in the exurbs. In the first round of interviews we all got to watch each other. Every firm, including the one I represented, talked up the merits of hiring an architect. (So, yes, larger firms do have to educate their clients to an extent.) In addition we all were showing off our portfolio and highlighting our experience.

In the end after 2 rounds of private interviews and building tours my firm was selected. Why? Not because of our experience. Not because what we could offer in services. Not even our fee, which was the middle one - so we were told. They said they liked one of the photos from our portfolio. Not even the building of ours they toured! Came down to the fact that they wanted "that" library.

Absolutely absurd in my opinion. Then again, I'm with you in being frightened that most people think more about what to order in the drive thru than what car they buy or what architect they may hire.

So, we all know the Big Mac looks different in the advertisement than in real life. Well, to get the public to buy, maybe architecture needs to have an "enhanced" image in the ads. Vado hinted at the office being an "exhibition." Maybe that's the approach we should explore.

Aug 23, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Wow! Your religious school story further galvanizes the notion that, despite explaining, teaching, and educating, we are still a species that has become far too dependent upon our eyes to assess fact/fiction/value. At least the client didn't just go with the lowest bidder.

"I'll have the McMansion with an extra side of faux brick facade and a medium circular drive with porte-cochere...oh, and supersize that."

Hell, since every other is industry is hijacking evocative building design to peddle their wares (cars, clothing, etc), why shouldn't the architects themselves?

Aug 23, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

this is a very educational and useful thread. well, at least it is for me...

let me play devil's advocate regarding to my so far imaginary flyer.

how would you think of hiring somebody, who will get to know you intimately, design the room where you'll be having sex and fold your underwear, through a flyer that you have found in front of your door or in your mailbox, however sincere and honest the content might be?
it is one thing to hire a tree trimmer, aluminum siding replacer or carpet cleaner, but an architect? a noble professional who wears a cape?
wouldn't you feel the same about it as you would feel about a lawyer pointing a finger at a car accident drawing and saying he'll fight for you, on a flyer you have seen?
would you trust that lawyer the same way you would trust a lawyer that your accountant uses?
would anybody take me seriously and call if they associate my solicitation method with the new chinese take out just opened and they deliver?

i don't know. stuff like this... what do you guys think of that? i am skeptical and see a glitch right there. like, selling out less than....??

Aug 23, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

orhan, go door to door. introduce yourself, explain you are not selling anything, but just wanted to introduce yourself. explain the profession and why it would benefit them - even if they don't need your service - at least they and you gain a little something...

Aug 23, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

orhan -- i think there's a far cry of distance between what you're proposing and the tasteless marketing method of an ambulance chaser. (i can't help but think of the bus posters in LA with that cheesy lawyer guy grinning, "Accidentes? 222-2222")

perhaps i'm being too simplistic, but this is a perfect opportunity for you to find/develop that perfect graphic descriptor that really expresses who and what you are as a designer. dsc_arch's card is a perfect example. just the manner in which he/she designed that card speaks volumes about their aesthetic. i personally could care less how i came about your card...maybe some people would, but you shouldn't care about them. sure word-of-mouth is great, but it's passive. if you're trying to shake things up a bit and do something proactive, you can't be concerned with how others (mainly other architects) view your methods...as long as you're attracting opportunities and YOU personally don't feel like you're marginalizing yourself.

regarding the trust factor...all you're trying to get from your marketing methods is the phone call. once you get the phone call, it's up to you as an individual and an architect to instill that trust.

Aug 23, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
beta, that is nice suggestion but this is an e mail i got from my community organization a couple months ago. i live next to a municipal (santa monica) airport. it made me a little gun shy about knocking doors in the hood. i underlined the part that made me feel that way. fuck man, people are distributing this e mail around without any consideration of the receiving end.

--------
"by way of R.Scheding" <ZinaCohen> wrote:
US Warns Private Jet Owners of Terrorist Threat

WASHINGTON (April 21) - The government is encouraging private jet
owners and airports to boost security after a message posted in
Arabic on a Web forum last week urged Muslims to destroy such
aircraft.

Justin Sullivan, Getty Images

The advisory encouraged private jet owners and airport operators to
look out for unauthorized or unusual people, cargo or aircraft.

The Transportation Security Administration issued a security advisory
that quoted the message as saying, "Destroy private American
aircraft...We call upon all Muslims to follow and identify private
civilian American aircrafts in all airports of the world."

"It is the duty of Muslims to destroy all types of private American
aircrafts that are of the types Gulf Stream and Lear Jet and all
small jet aircraft usually used by distinguished (people) and
businessmen," the April 13 message said, according to the TSA.

The TSA advisory, issued Thursday, said the posting explained how to
identify U.S. airplanes and revealed the tail number of a plane
allegedly used by the CIA.

The advisory encouraged private jet owners and airport operators to
look out for unauthorized or unusual people (read= middle eastern looking people), cargo and aircraft.

The agency said the theft of any private airplane should be
immediately reported to the TSA and any suspicious activity should be
immediately reported to the TSA and local police.
---------

unrelated to the thread but what the heck, even though i probably do not qualify as a 'muslim' in real sense, this was my response;

mr sheding,
As a muslim member of Mar Vista community I've found your e mail rather discriminating, stereotyping and offensive. Please stop sending and distributing me such speculative e mails at once.
Orhan Ayyuce

Aug 23, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

sorry for veering the thread momentarily...

Aug 23, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, broccolijet, thats encouraging. and makes sense. of course an architect's flyer would be a little step up from bizzy blondes who has got my hood under their thumb...

Aug 23, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i get ya, but at the same time if you don't go out and meet the community don't you set yourself up as being that "middle eastern" guy who talks to no one? perhaps your gesture can breakdown stereotypes and make those emails even more absurd...

Aug 23, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

i just got this from the real estate agent who is representing my client. i made sure they put my name on the listing jingle.
link

Aug 23, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

thats what i really think too beta. thanks.

Aug 23, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

i love that you got your name in there, orhan. once again there were articles in our local paper touting new building projects (3) with no mention of the architects involved. even when there are images of the building, people quoted regarding how great they think it is, etc. maddening.

Aug 23, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

oh, i meant 'once again TODAY..."

and the house looks great, orhan. i think we saw pix of that one underway earlier. it's so hard to keep it that clean and simple.

Aug 23, 06 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you rock abra.

Aug 23, 06 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

We have a clause that our name is used in all publicity of the project.

To date it has not worked so for. There are many mentions of our work in the appear with no mentions of us.

However, on a similar bent we get about three calls a week for booking an event in one of the banquet centers we designed three years ago. In the Google search our web site comes up before the actual client’s web site. Also, while some in our office call our web site sophomoric, it does generate about 1 warm lead per week.

Aug 23, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MDLER's marketing strategy...

1 - go to the Mac store
2- put your firm's website up on as many MacBooks as you can
3- leave

Aug 23, 06 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP
...decisive lines and luminous space...

looks fantastic man. super tight.

I love the realtor speak, that line^ is right up there with Steven's "meticulously updated," mentioned elsewhere...

beta, the principle behind what your saying is right on, but it seems too labor intensive (thinking about it purely as marketing, not as social service. my initial reaction to the letter was positive, and after reading everything here, I still think it's a worthwhile effort, and one that you should be proud to put forward, abra.

great thread.

Aug 23, 06 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

time to get "bizzy" with the blondes abra!

Aug 24, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a million two and you only get two car garage???

Aug 24, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

vado, thats like price to sell in los angeles. (not so fast these days though).

anyway, it was interesting to do a house for a developer who didn't shy away from open plan etc.. from very beginning, i talked him into it, saying these are the type of houses most people are looking for these days and it didn't take long for him to find that out after taking him some drives around the neighborhood.
spec houses are interesting animals because you have to maintain certain genericness to them no matter how specific the genre is. i found myself constantly pulling back from spaces that would suggest too much of that highly custom tailored look. it can easly offend a potential buyer thinking that they are buying someone else's dream. but you have to be also careful not to come up with something so generic that is berift of any individuality as well. you have an entity as a client, but you don't have any specific owner/occupants which makes the task a little more broader based and complex.
imaginary occupants are hard to deal with since they change their minds more often than real ones, but they are also easier to satisfy.
the process seems to be faster once you agree on the plans but takes long time to get there.
i've never done a speculative house before, this is my first one and i hope it sells because that will be the real test for its success.
now, he is going to build its sister next lot, but that one has a real owner occupier in mind (the developer himself). we have a mirror image plan but the challange is going to be making them somewhat their own at the end.

thanks for all the feedback and support.

*i didn't have anything to do with the house 'staging', other than i told the owner it really sucks. broker works with his buddy decorator/house stager and his real estate photographer. but all in all they did a good job on web page considering some other sales pitches i've seen around.

Aug 24, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Ok. I am lost is Orhan and Abracadabra the same person? Just split personalities.

Aug 25, 06 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

they are the same. both were accidents. trying to split but no luck so far.

Aug 25, 06 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

same.

Aug 25, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
e909

a coupla pieces of rock in a plastic bag. drive down streets, toss one (or two) bags toward every driveway.

do it again two months later, but include the folded (pink) paper ad in the bag this time.

Oct 23, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
e909

"discuss..."
great way to get someone else to pay the a/c bill. probably a lot more space to work in. but somebody has to hang round afterhours to guard against gremlins, no?

this way if one of the cooks drops a burger on the floor, s/he's not going to just brush the dust off and wrap it for a customer. http://www.afn.org/~afn30091/songs/r/rockwell-somebodys.htm

Oct 23, 06 1:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: