Archinect
anchor

Tokyo Bay Millennium Tower?

Katze

I caught the tail end of a program that talked about the proposal of building a 170-story conical shaped skyscraper using a helical steel cage, called the Millennium, built by Foster & Partners, London (not to be confused with Millennium City in Hong Kong). It sounds like the form was developed in response to hurricane-strength wind forces and earthquakes, and it can withstand potentially destabilizing winds. Could anyone point me to additional footage on the project, or concluding evidence (e.g. wind tunnel research) or at the least, a good book that discusses the latest research on skyscrapers and wind tunnel research? As always, I would appreciate a good interactive discussion on the subject!

Aug 20, 06 10:54 pm
albob

I don't actually know much about this project, I think it was axed once the real-estate bubble burst in Japan. I've heard Foster's still looking to build this tower though and I think he designed a version for Shanghai aswell.

A large image I scanned from a book I have.

At the moment the burj dubai is the only super-highrise that's actually getting built. Although built for completely different purposes it's around the same height. I think they're reached the 50th or 60th storey now.

Foster has designed another supertall project, it's due to start at the end of the year I think. It's 600m tall and can also be found on the Foster & Partners website.

Aug 21, 06 7:22 am  · 
 · 
postal

now where is prof. land when you need him!? i've got a bunch of resources at home i can give you, but nothing that went into cfd modeling or that sort of thing, the project is pretty much dead, just a vision, eh well,

the fact that it could withstand the great windloads that high into the air is because of the changing proportion of the diagrid...

also, foster's proposed means of actually building the tower were fairly interesting as i recall... (not revolutionary, but interesting)

as for crazy theoretical high-rise, (maybe not so crazy), i always liked... well, i can't find a pic online, but future systems did a city within a high-rise like thing (very sim city whateverthose things were called.)

Aug 21, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Thanks for the info albob. Yes, it sounds like they have versions/visions for several locations, e.g. Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong (probably elsewhere as well:)

Postal, I'd be grateful if you'd be willing to share any resources you have. Cfd not needed. If you have to send snail mail, I'd pay for postage and return them to you. Just send me an email and I'll be in touch. Thanks!

Aug 21, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Unless you have electronic material that could be sent via email – that would be fine too. Thanks.

Aug 21, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
postal

i've just got citations and copies of the stuff i pulled out of avery and my prof's books. but i'll get it to you when i get home,... if i get home that is!?

Aug 21, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Both my mom and my sister emailed me asking if I went to TOKOYO the other day. I don't know why but it drove me crazy to see it spelled TOKOYO. Come on ladies.

Aug 21, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Hasselhoff - Maybe they were confusing Tokyo with Tokoyo (the figure in Japanese mythology:)

Aug 21, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Thanks postal - much appreciated!!!

Aug 21, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

No, no they weren't. My sister didn't know what Kyoto was, so I'm sure she is unaware of Tokoyo.

Aug 21, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Oh, my goodness...scary!

Aug 21, 06 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
postal

ah yes, i've found out the project i was referring to earlier!! somewhat along the same topic as the millenium tower

Project 112: Coexistence

picture coming soon...

Aug 22, 06 8:12 am  · 
 · 
postal

oh yeah, i heart this project

anyone think they can jack up a 150 storey tower? future systems thinks they can!

Aug 22, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 
postal

now all we need are some pics of the mile high illinois!

Aug 22, 06 8:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: