Archinect
anchor

contractor-turn-architect...?

.dwg

Hi
I was wondering, if someone has experience in building (an experienced contractor) but does not hold a master's degree yet, what benefits will they have when they have their degree? is there any way to be exempt from any internship hours to get a seal?

it kind of seems ridiculous to me that a person who knows a building inside-out needs to go through day 1 of interning after they graduate just to get their accredition.

what benefits can or will the have if they start work at a design-build firm? do you think they can practice as a contractor in the design-build office yet earn intern hours at the same time?

anyone have experience in this or in this situation themselves?

Aug 20, 06 1:44 am

licence is not just about proving you can build a building. lots of other stuff involved. being an architect is not the same job as being a contractor, though it can overlap a lot, if that is what you want...

what kind of contractor were you? here in japan the real contractors (not the fellows who do renovations or build houses) are more or less equivalent to architects and take an exam as difficult, including code, structures, contract law, etc. you are like that? i dunno if such a system even exists in USA...? assuming that is where you is located...

anyway, am inclined to doubt you will get any credit for your history as a builder...but it might help you to get a job. my buddy who made a good living building high-end houses used his experience to start as a project architect for a small starchitect in the US, after finishing MArch. he is also very disciplined and very smart, though, and that may have had more to do with the skipping of cad-monkey stage...

as for the licence, in NA you have to log a certain number of hours in a variety of disciplines to prove you have a well-rounded experience. then you get to take a series of exams to show you nominally know how to use that experience. if you are working in a design-build firm you can get that experience but it will mean you do more than just work on site...and it will take 5 + years after you get a professional degree (if my mate's experience back home in NA is anything to go by).

luck.

Aug 20, 06 3:25 am  · 
 · 
ih1542006

.dwg
You need to contact your state professional license Board or State board of architects. To get the different acceptable ways to become licensed in your state. Lots of states allow work to count towards some internship credits. Past work has to be well documented.
There was a time way back when a person could work in an Architects office for like 13 documented years with no degree and basically be allowed to sit for the exam. Today there are only a handful of states that still allow this. More and more are doing away with this option.
Also check out NCARB's web site lots of info there . But you state is really the first phone call

Aug 20, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: