Archinect
anchor

long-distance job search: has anyone found success?

cipyboy

... currently working/ living in Georgia,but I do intend to apply for jobs in New York, California, Chicago, and Florida. I heard some of my friends say that you have to actually live in the same city that youre applying to improve your chances of  employment. Thoughts? Tnxx

Mar 26, 12 2:22 am
wurdan freo

Unless you are being recruited for a senior position or have some other differentiating skill, I would agree with your friends. If you have another connection, (e.g. your uncle owns the firm or your girlfriends dad owns the firm) then there is the possibility. In general, my experience is that if a cross country firm is even interested in talking to you, it will be difficult to get them to pay for relocation. There are just to many qualified local candidates. 

Relocation over seas is fairly strong, however. I recently turned down an opportunity in SE Asia that contained a very generous benefits and relocation package. Where ever your services and skills are in demand you will find people willing to pay for them.

Mar 26, 12 11:51 am  · 
 · 

You don't need to live there. You do need to make them realize how serious you are to come to them though. While finishing up my undergrad in London, I sent resumes out to firms in NYC and Philly and told them, "I will be in town March 26th (or whatever)." I was able to line up a handful of interviews and 2 job offers. I walked into a few offices (Shop and 10 Architectos) and ended up getting interviewed by saying, "im here." I ended up staying in London anyways... a few years later I sent out my resume to the Stuttgart area and did the same thing. Lined up interviews, got a few offers, took one. Then a few months ago I sent my resume out again to Frankfurt and Munich. I have no problems flying or taking long trains to go to a job interview if it is a position I want. Dont go into it expecting someone to take care of you and pay your way. Go into it understanding that you will be doing this on your own and they will tend to respect that. People want people to work for them who wants to work for them. Showing your willingness to go out of your way for them, gets good brownie points. Plus, why would a New York firm need to recruit out of Georgia? Dont be discouraged. Go to them. Get what you want. 

Mar 26, 12 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

I heard some of my friends say that you have to actually live in the same city that youre applying to improve your chances of  employment. Thoughts? Tnxx

Like what wurdan freo said. Either that or you need at least $5,000 in the bank as a single person to up a move.

Look for larger firms with Human Resources and Accounting Departments. A relocation package can be swapped for your first year bonus— it's also a completely tax-free fringe benefit which means it would be equivalent to 130-140% of equal compensation; a $5000 relocation expense would be equivalent to about $7000-8000 pre-taxes... your future employer technically saves a few thousand dollars.

However, only medium to large sized firms have the expertise and budgets to pay for such perks: about 20% of new hires [outside of architecture] currently are receiving relocation expenses with another 20% getting a sign on bonus.

Mar 26, 12 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

i think you meant to bold, "outside of architecture."

Mar 26, 12 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

a 500 mile relocation - San Diego to San Francisco - in 2007 - pre recession

1. I had a differentiating skill at the time - Revit - now it is a common skill

2. It was a large firm -  the offer was contingent on me paying all of my relocation

Mar 26, 12 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

...thanks for the reply. @ zenakis,(off topic) our profession always keeps on looking for a differentiating skillset which requires us to spend precious time and $$$ learning (mostly software related). We never get to the dead end because theres always something new out there (whether relevant or not)... haha. Must be nice living in the 90's when Autocad was king.lol. 

Again, interesting stories you guys have, thank you...

Mar 26, 12 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

For the jobs I've applied to, I mentioned I wouldn't need any relocation expenses. Currently same boat. Live outside of DC and now I want to relocate to Atlanta. As good as the job market is in the DC area, for architecture it's not so hot. Even though it doesn't seem so hot in Atlanta either .

Ughhh such a crappy time to be job searching for an entry level position. Shoot me!

Mar 27, 12 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Of course it's possible - but may depend how far you're willing to go. I successfully relocated - twice - I graduated in 2009 and didn't even bother looking for jobs in the US. All my resumes went to Europe. I was offered an internship in Rome (after a brief Skype interview) that barely paid the bills, but it was exciting work at a big-name design firm. Ultimately it was unsustainable, and I started looking for a new job after about 9 months. I saw plenty of postings in Beijing and Shanghai, saved up a little money to fly out, and spend a week sightseeing and going on interviews in China. I took the best offer, and I've been here for two years. I didn't receive anything for relocation - I didn't expect anything, and frankly didn't need anything - there's something liberating about moving halfway around the world with nothing but a suitcase and some cash for first month's rent.

Mar 28, 12 1:52 am  · 
 · 
architect1986

heres info about working in china, i would totally recommend it:

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/12191943/young-us-architects-working-in-china

Mar 28, 12 5:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: