Archinect
anchor

construction management

blackturtleneck

Do any architects on this forum do construction management? If so, how does one get involved in construction management?

Aug 7, 06 10:06 pm
vado retro

first get rid of that turtleneck and get yourself a plaid short sleeve button down and some dockers.

Aug 7, 06 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
blackturtleneck

You ah saying I cannot walk on ze site in my Prada loafers?

Aug 7, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah they are great for climbing roof access ladders.

Aug 7, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
jh

i had my flip-flops on today. wasn't planning on doing CA today, but shit hit the fan. i did roll up in my big ass truck so i didn't get to much shit. BTW, if i was wearing prada i would have to kick my own ass. on a side note i am about to start doing construction management for a 34 unit condo project. i have been hired by the builder/investor to continue through construction. the plan is to try and expediate to project by cutting out some of the middle men. most likely it is just going to end up being another huge pain in my ass instead of the builder's.

Aug 8, 06 12:49 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

blackturtleneck,

My advice, depending on a previous level of construction experience, is to start small. For that matter, don’t be a CM be a paper contractor – you are doing the same thing anyway and it gives you more control.

You can also charge more. Recently I met a paper contractor who runs on an open book cost plus basis. He charges 10% cost of construction for projects over 1 million and 14% for those under $1 million.

Aug 8, 06 3:17 am  · 
 · 
4arch

what's a paper contractor?

Aug 8, 06 8:40 am  · 
 · 

means you sub all the work...its a little risky though for some jobs because its means you are liable for the work of others...and quality can sometimes be an issue. But it is a rush, anyone looking to do design-build that would be the best way to do it

Aug 8, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i work for a design-build firm, as a designer and a construction manager. we are the general contractor on our own projects. i also took some construction engineering courses in grad school. its a bit different than traditional architecture, because i am more responsible for the quality and cost of the work, and seeing things done on time. there's also more variety and more control in the work, which is more fun and makes for better projects. there is, however, a lot more to remember, and because of this it can get stressfull.

Aug 8, 06 10:11 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

le bossman-do you know some good design-build firms in the US? this is what I want to do after I graduate.

Aug 8, 06 10:30 am  · 
 · 

i'm in a weird place in between architecture and construction management... i'm currently a project manager for the capital improvements department for the city...

basically i hire/coordinate between all parties in the projects (users, architects/engineers, construction management firm, etc.)... it's an interesting job and i get a lot of different experiences... better hours and better pay... i'm hoping to turn my experience here into a logical link between the city and the arch. firm that i plan on starting in a few years... i will have the experience of running projects from the client/city's side of things so i will have a heads up on other firms that do design work for the city...

Aug 8, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
pomoinmono

I graudated with an unrelated degree and am now working as a paper contractor, assistant project manager. I'm learning a ton both in the field and about how people make money and how they don't in architecture. I think it's completely invaluable and will give me a great hand when I go to grad school. You are so right about quality especially since construction is alot of "boys helping boys" .... if someone fucks up on one job you would think that this would greatly hinder their future job prospects. nope.

le bossman, do you feel like it's toally natural to want to follow through on your design by continuing into the construction process? Having the experience, I don't understand how any architect could miss out on the actual, physical building process......I guess for me that's why I love architecture.

Aug 8, 06 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

I'm an architect but do about 20% of the work with open contracts. That is agreed prices, based off measured work and a fee scale. Works...but its time consuming because I still have the other 80% of regular arch to do

Aug 11, 06 8:45 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

these guys are out of kansas city:

http://www.eldoradoarchitects.com/

brooklyn:

www.matterpractice.net

there are some others i'll try to think of

Aug 11, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: