Archinect
anchor

When should I apply?

Archilearner

I am going to be a junior in the non-professional architectural program. I really want to go to a good graduate school as soon as i am done with my under-grad school. But, my next two-year course schedule is pretty tight, planning to take Architectural Design I II III IV in each semester for next two years.
If I want to get into a Master program for fall 2008, I think I should apply before the end of fall 2007 which means I have to apply before I finish taking the architectural sequence courses.

Can it a problem? Any advice?
In addition, I won't be able to take a 1-credit portfolio course at my school which opens only to student who already took Design III.
Did most of you guys take that kind of course before you put up your portfolio? Or Did you just do that on your own?

Any input is appreciated!!!

Jul 20, 06 7:48 am
swamprat

Don't take a portfolio class. If you do not know how to design a portfolio by time you are a junior/senior then you have learned nothing in school about presentation. You should take basket weaving instead you will learn something new and might be able to incorporate it into your design in grad school. plus its just as easy.

Jul 20, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
jh

i would suggest waiting before going straight into grad school. i planned on working for a couple of years before going to grad school - i ended up at a good firm and ended working four. by doing this i was able to get all my IDP requirements taken care of before going to grad school. also, i was able to take the knowledge i learned in the real world and apply it to my masters education. right now my friends who went straight through are working on finishing their IDP requirements and i am working on getting licensed - also i am their boss.

Jul 20, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 

most grad school applications in the us are due dec-jan for the next fall. so you have until dec-jan to squeeze another project into your portfolio.

Jul 20, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

wait!

take a few years to travel the world
gaze at your navel
contemplate toejam
grow up
find your passion
love
laugh
cry

then think about graduate school.

there is no rush, and everything to gain by delaying your application and enrollment.

You will be a better student. It takes time and experience to see the link between what is taught and how it applies to practice.

You can start on IDP now and not loose the race to be the first of your undergrad classmates to get registered - now an average of 7.5 years after graduation.

relax and enjoy life!

Jul 20, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

There are lots of good arguments here for taking off some time between undegrad and your M.Arch.
But, if you decide that you don't want to take time off:

It's ok. A fairly large percentage of people applying to M.Arch programs come directly from college. So the admissions committees are used to reviewing portfolios from people who aren't finished with all their studios yet, and that's fine. Also, keep in mind that 4-year non-professional architecture majors vary widely from school to school - with some having only 3 or 4 semesters of studio total while other have up to twice that many - so applicants are not all even in terms of previous academic experience. The admissions people know that. Don't worry.

If you're applying to 3 or 3.5 year programs and not trying for advanced standing then it is especially a non-issue - because many of your M.Arch classmates won't have any architectural education yet. Portfolios are all judged individually on their own merit. Nobody cares about the exact number of classes you have and haven't taken.

In college we had a 1-credit portfolio prep course that was mandatory. It was in our last semester, so too late for many grad school applications, but it was still extremely valuable for creating a portfolio for job searching. Most of the benefit was in the chance to see everyone else's portfolio and to get critiques from everyone. So I say do take the class when you get a chance, but don't worry too much about it for your M.Arch applications.

Jul 20, 06 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: