Archinect
anchor

Concrete Panels

Sean Taylor

I have seen a concrete panel product that I want to use, but I cannot seem to find it again. This was a beautiful product. It was kind of like a "Durock" or "Hardie Board" fiber-cement backer-board, but it did not have the reinforcing mesh visible on the surface and it was not stamped with the brand name.

This panel was about 3/8" thick, comes in a 4x8 sheet (I believe) and is smooth on at least the one surface that I saw. It basically looks like a cast concrete panel. I would like to use this product as a wall panel.

Has anyone used/seen this?

Jul 16, 04 12:39 am
b3tadine[sutures]

i think scogin elam bray used this on some homes - that is if my memory serves me - i don't recall the exact name though...

Jul 16, 04 8:04 am  · 
 · 
mdler

butterballs,

I am building a house clad in the cement fiber board panels that you are speaking of. Although I dont have the name of the manufacturer at the present time (I will ask my boss), I can offer some advice.

- the cement panels are waterproof. We are using them as a 'rain screen' . The panels are mounted on pressure-treated furring strips, creating an air-space behind them. This is mounted over a typical 2x6 and OSB wall covered with Tyvek.

- the panels that we are using come in 4'x8' or 4'x10' sizes (may vary depending on supplier)

- the sheets are 3/8" thick

- the sheets can be cut with a masonry saw blade (this can be used in circular or table saw). They can also be cut with a jig saw blade.

- the sheets are damn heavy

- the sheets are brittle, so they can break if allowed to flex too much. I assume that they could also be broken from a large impact from a heavy object.

-depending on supplier, you can possibly get different colors of board.

Jul 16, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.velocityartanddesign.com/guhl.html

not exactlly what you are looking for, but cool none the less

Jul 16, 04 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.eternit.co.uk/

it is commonly referred to as cement fiber board

Jul 16, 04 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
SwissPearl

?

Jul 16, 04 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

or GRFC - Glass reinforced concrete?

Jul 16, 04 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I'm counting reading this post as an hour of Specifications and Materials research for IDP.

Jul 16, 04 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: