Archinect
anchor

Would you hire someone whose Mom calls the firm?

ha! dave mustaine.

maybe he did make it?

Jul 2, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Velo's on the right track here... do the kid a favor by telling the mom to lay off. Tell her, "Look, I'm not going to hire your son, but I'll tell you why. It's not him, it's you. I'm afraid that he's either such a lazy SOB that you have to do his job hunting for him, or that you're so overbearing that if I hire him, I'll get you as well." And hope they learn from it...

Jul 3, 06 2:04 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

haha this topics old, but my god I want that mom.

I tried to get my mom to book me a dentist appointment the other day.

She asked if I needed her to wipe my ass too.

Apr 16, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
charlatan

Looks like school got out early today.

Apr 16, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Hey WTF, we get it: you're a real little firecracker. But dragging up old threads when you haven't really got anything to add to them might be perceived as annoying.

Apr 16, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

charlatan, if that was at me, I was in drafting class actually haha.

agfa8x erm little firecracker? Anyway, maybe it will start a new debate between people who hanv't seen it?

Apr 16, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

oh and did this guy ever get his interview??

Apr 16, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

I am guessing she called without his knowledge, told him afterward and he is now too embarrassed to contact the firm on his own.

Reminds me of the Everybody loves Raymond episodes where Marie calls the FBI on Robert's behalf secretly hoping they would not hire him because of it...

Apr 16, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh snap, i thought this was a fresh thread, well no matter.

Makes me kinda glad my father told me I'm on my own the second I graduate college.

Apr 16, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Wow, old thread.
No, he never got his interview because we never got his resume or heard from him or his mom again. I was disappointed because I wanted to meet him and see what the story was.
We got a lot of odd applicants that summer: a graduating undergrad architecture student who didn't have a portfolio and seemed surprised that we would expect one, a kid who wrote us a "thanks for the interview but no thanks" letter saying that he couldn't work for any firm that doesn't have a laser cutter (we're a small residential firm and don't have much call for one), and a middle-aged CAD drafter who told us that he usually "works for 6 months, then gets fired and collects unemployment the rest of the year".

Apr 17, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

that is hilarious 'fomerlyunknown'. I've got to start putting my portfolio together again.

Apr 17, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

his mom would drop him off in the mini-van everyday, on time

Apr 17, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
charlatan

Hah. Wow. I should really learn the 6 on / 6 off way of life.

Apr 17, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

I would set up an interview and my first and only question would be "Why did your mom call for you?"

Apr 17, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

that is pretty funny former.

Apr 17, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

Just imagine if you had to chew the kid out for being a bad employee. His mom would be up there in a heartbeat to defend her helpless angel.

(Is secretly embarrassed because I have to talk my mom out of doing stuff like that. This whole thread is like my worst nightmare.)

Apr 18, 07 4:19 am  · 
 · 
Medit

funny how instead of the usual tigerchina.net furniture ad on top of most threads and the discussion index this is the ad that appeared for this story:

building tomorrow's cad monkeys today..

Apr 18, 07 4:59 am  · 
 · 

Karen Chao's (cartoonist) dad demanded a lunch-date with her future nickelodeon boss:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/arts/television/15davi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Apr 18, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 

yea it might not be as bad as we think

the mother could of just called on a hunch, curious as to what was likely to happen. You can't blame her for loving her kid, and most children don't stand out for their independence until much later (if at all) in life.

its sickens me that my brother in law still defaults to his parents whims.

Apr 18, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: