Archinect
anchor

Architect:Staff, What's a good ratio for firms with more than 5?

I'm toying with the idea of writing an article (formal or informal) and doing a blanket survey of firms— those who will at least respond— to determine employment the number of architects and support staff.

Using the AIA compensation reports and one older DI report, which are easier and sometimes free to find, I've come up with a figure of 1:1.05, 1:1.3 and, via Department of Labor, 1:2.5— AIA and DI ratios are determined by number of people holding principle, partner, architect or project manager positions whereas DOL figures come from total employment in industry in-ratio-to licensed architects (excluding sole practitioners).

However, the AIA and DI figures also include Engineers and Interior Designers. I'd like to have a figure more related to licensure as project managers, partners and executives may not always be licensed architectures, e.g. COO.

I'm making the general assumption that the ratio would be closer to 1:1 if you exclude engineers and interior designers but weighing DOL data would inch it closer to 1:1.5.

So, what's a good ratio or is it dependent on the scope and size of a firm?

Mar 8, 12 11:17 am

we have 3 architects, 6 non-registered design staff, and 1 administrative person. feels like too many architects per design staff right now. i expect it completely depends on the internal workings of the office. 

Mar 8, 12 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

IMO - DOL statistics are much closer to reality.  every office I've worked in it's typically 2 to 3 unlicensed support to every licensed architect.

Mar 8, 12 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I would look to I like the ZweigWhite Valuation Survey to give you a good cross-section of firm sizes and ratios.

Mar 19, 12 11:53 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

would also be interesting to include a survey of overhead rates

Mar 19, 12 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: