Archinect
anchor

Small Lot Subdivision Issue

marcbehrman

We are being told by the Department of Building and Safety that small lot project must either record final maps or convert to an apartment, complete with ADA compliance, in order to pull permits. Either avenue would be quite costly. Is anybody else running into this? We would be interested in joining forces to foster a constructive political outreach that addresses the broad issues of common concern to us all.

Jun 14, 06 8:25 pm
rothko67

what does record final maps mean? Same as a condo map?

Jun 14, 06 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
dia

its really annoying when people post and provide no specific geographical or locality information...

Jun 14, 06 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

No shit! - final maps?
If the issue is property lines - spend the $$$ - property lines are good.
ADA and Condo bad.

the answer is sometimes better than the question!

Jun 14, 06 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

Why not design them as apartments with accessibility, and begin the final map recording process? By the time maps are recorded go back to the city and change them to condo (hopefully before construction is too far along)

Is the City (of LA, folks) not allowing you to take the risk of pulling a permit on a propery that does not have a final map recorded? Seems a little strange to me.....

Jun 14, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
b4g

The small lot ordinace is for the city of Los Angeles.

I am working on a project were we are considering using the small ot ordinance. I am trying to figure out if we need to comply with ADA. We are on a typical 50'x150' lot and we are placing 6 units side by side and we are getting a tract map for the project..

Do any you guys know of firms or projects that have gotten permit for similar projects.

I have already seen the previous threads.

Jun 15, 06 2:57 am  · 
 · 
tlmII

first off: LADBS always stated that parcel or trac tmaps need final approval prior to submitting for plan check; that's a due dilligence issue.

Also, this is not an ordinance designed for condos - it's intended to subdivide into small SF lots. The subdivided parcels cannot share a common wall, they need to be completely structurally isolated, so apartment construction is out of the question

Finally, if you are trying to create 5 or more new parcels you need to file a tract map and fall under the Subdivision Map Act rules and timelines which are quite cumbersome. If you are doing 4 or less you need only submit a parcel map which doesn't need to be done by a registered civil engineer and can be approved by City Planning much quicker.

b4g: why would you need to follow strict ADA guidelines is you are doing a development of 6 single-family homes?

Jun 15, 06 10:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: