Archinect
anchor

World Cup Predictor Game

AP

klose and podolski are strikers.
Germany looked great today against Sweden.

Jun 24, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

Germany sure looked very strong today. Credit to them, they played very well and their game keeps improving. Depsite my distate for german football i must admit that i was very impressed by their attacking skills and pace. If they play Argentina in the quarter finals it should be a pretty awesome game to watch.

Jun 24, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
The History of the Soccer Ball

to my surprise, it was bucky fuller who really revolutionized the soccer ball (pp.2) interesting read.

Jun 24, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Mexico!!! Gooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!1

Jun 24, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
AP

GOAL el tri! amazing!

Jun 24, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
AP

equalizer! damnit!

Jun 24, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

We're going to overtime!!! What a great game!!!

Jun 24, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP
Jun 24, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

That was amazing!

Jun 24, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

great game, best by far by Mexico. Argentina didnt look so hot, now I am having doubts against Germany....

I would change my prediction, but I have to root for hte South American team.

the second goal by Arg. was a beauty, Messi (sp?) is a great play-maker.

Jun 24, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

maybe 2010....

Jun 24, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
RINagy

Someone please explain how Mexico has a much better reputation than the US?

4 World Cups = 4 round of 16 Exits = Not All That.

Also, Argentina didn't look good. Germany did. I still say Germany in the Finals.

Jun 24, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

Argentina deserved to win that game if only for that second goal. absolute screamer, goal of the tournament so far.

Jun 24, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

What an effort. The Argentine subs really were the difference. They just took over in overtime with those fresh feet. Messi is a contender for the 12th man award.
And tomorrow Ecuador vs England and Portugal vs Holland? This is just too much. Let's go Ecuador and Portugal!!!

Jun 24, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
AP

...for mexico...

from the looks of things, Germany should defeat Argentina.

Argentina has a strong future, for sure...Messi, that other guy (#11)

Jun 24, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
AP

RINagy - Mexico is consistent. They make it to the 2nd round every tournament, like clock-work. the US does not.

Jun 24, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Mexico - four consecutive 2nd round appearances

USA - four shots on goal in 2006 world cup.

Jun 24, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

RINagy, I never understood it either, I personally have never liked Mexican futbol at the national or club level. I heard rumors that next world cup the CONCACAF will have one less spot, and I think that is a good idea Central and North American teams are just not that good. Mexico is the best though, if the US got serious, and had any interest, they could rival them. Klinsman is married to a USonian,and he lives in LA, he should lead the US team next time...

Jun 24, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

The Argentina/Germany game should be good (hopefully better than that '90 final.) Can that German defense keep up with the Argentine attack? (Costa Rica did score two goals on them) We shall see.

I really think the USA team is overhyped: '90 - no wins, '94 - didn't advance, '98 - no wins, one goal, '02 - ok, '06 - 2nd worse offense, 5th worse defense.

Jun 24, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Its a raging party in Buenos Aires people! Great energy by Mexico but that chest to one touch goal for the winner by Maxi was absolutely amazing, muy asombroso! Vamos Argentina!

Jun 24, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

in response to Auguste Perret's comments, the US did advance in 94 but was beaten by the eventual champions, Brazil. 98 was a debacle and was a team comprised of overaged players from 94. 02, were it not for a questionable no call, the US would have beaten the eventual finalist, germany. 06 i thought they demonstrated tremendous talent, esp. against italy. i thought they were screwed by the officials on at least 3 instances, but agreed, defense was bad. i don't know what arena was saying about how good the defense was. they stunk it up.

Jun 24, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

damn .. i really feel for mexico ... i thought they really gave it a fight !! ...

and i didnt think germany was that good ... far to physical and the ref seemed to make some bad calls .. that red card was not on !!

but to make things worse .. Sweden played the worst football i have ever seen from them !!

Jun 25, 06 12:40 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Go BRAZIL!

Jun 25, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Wow ... Oranje v. Portugal .... 16 yellow cards, 4 red cards. Lots of cleating. It looked like American football out there.

The Dutch had one of their worst outings on this game ... bad passes, bad tempers. With all these cards, Portugal will be in danger when the next game comes around.

Jun 25, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, nasty game. I can't stand Figo.

and where was van Nistelroy! the Dutch should have been able to score without him, but no reason not to put him in, unless he was injured.

Madness. tied the WC record for yellow cards.

Jun 25, 06 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
AP

the foul against C.Ronaldo started it all. That was malicious...I was rooting for the Netherlands, but that first cleat-to-thigh sparked a fire that lasted the whole match.

Jun 25, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Ref should have given some reds earlier to keep the game under control...very inconsistent with the cards.

Jun 25, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

okay i have pledged to a very special lady friend of mine that i will watch a game. she wants me to watch two, but i drew a line in the sand. since i am a kraut i will watch the krauts, when are they playing?

Jun 25, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

vado, you mean 'panzers'.
they are playing argentina on friday morning-ish (us time). they are my favorite team so far and all along. i am glad to hear you are giving it a chance.
it was a happy ending for the team who wanted to win more (portugal) and gave it a good try down in men power most of the game and their young striker injured out (ronaldo).
i thought refree let the game out of control. but whats soccer, if all the games played like good christians on a sunday service. fuck yeah, lets get some electricity into the games man...

Jun 25, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

wow .. what a game that was !! ... crazy !!.

I coudn't beleive the amount of cards that was dished out !! ...damn !!!

I actually like figo ... but i thought he deserved a red card for that head butt ...

anyway .. most entertaining game so far !!

Jun 26, 06 12:30 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

and yeah ... I'm very dissapointed with the dutch !! .. very !!

vado good luck ... c'mon you can watch two games .. won't be that bad !!

Jun 26, 06 12:31 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i thought the dutch got what they deserved.
the foul on ronaldo was malicious..and the not kicking
it back to portugal was b.s. and led to the foul..and a
dangerous free kick. the portugal player stopped his
run because the player was down...he was one on one
with the keeper..the least the dutch could've done was
be fair and send it back....i mean portugal didn't even
try on the dropped ball. it was obvious what they were
doing..they even dropped off to let the dutch pass it to
them...

also. why is ruud not playing? seems to me he is their
most dangerous striker. i was very happy for portugal.
although i think they're toast agains england with all the
cards. england has been gift wrapped the cup thusfar...
they've been very lucky...getting out of a ridiculously easy
group...to an outmached opponent in equador..who they
barely beat...to now portugal who is down two men and have
five others with yellows. and a hurt ronaldo. fifa announced
that figo will not be suspended for this match.

the panzers. my second team was sweden..but i didn't think
they'd win against the germans...i think by far the team
playing the best soccer in the tourney. the score could've
been 4-0 very easily...the klose pass was a touch of brilliance.
drawing three defenders..just beautiful stuff...and his move
earlier was responsible for the first goal as well. great move
to split the defenders and end up one on one with the keeper

and the argentina goal in OT was sick. mexico must be getting
tired of being eliminated in the second round.

Jun 26, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I still think germany should have lost to Poland...and should have received one red card for complete take downs during break away runs...they had quite the home field and ref advantage...outside of that game they have played well.

Jun 26, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 
doberman

There is no love lost between Portugal and the Netherlands. Last night's game was a disgrace but that russian ref is a total wanker. he started showing cards way too early in the game presumably so as to stamp his authority on the game and then had to carry on to show some consistency. then he completely lost it and as a result of that, so did the players in both teams. Portugal are fucked against england without key players like Deco and possibly ronaldo. England will be in the semis, and after that anything can happen...

Jun 26, 06 10:54 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

it's the player's responsibility to adjust to the ref..but the
cards for time wasting have been ridiculous. the keeper
getting a card for waiting for a player to get up, for instance
and deco's second yellow for picking up the ball. i think many
calls have deserved cautions instead of cards.

one thing that i can be fairly certain is that ref's have had
far too much to do with the outcome of games and they've
caused a lot of matches to be choppy not allowing players to
get into a rhythm. i think fifa will have to look at how things
are being called.

Jun 26, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

i hate this game....!!!! aus/ita

Jun 26, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

yet another match decided by officiating...
not sure who was the better side, but i feel as though aus.
deserved to go through...of course, you can't slide like that
in stoppage time in the box..but i think the italian could have
avoided contact and instead made sure to induce contact...
hate to see a match decided that way.

ah well. another soccer superpower moves on.

Jun 26, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

Australia always beats us (Italy) in rugby.

They couldn't win even at soccer.

Jun 26, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Italy has a rugby team? ;-)

ya, unfortunate that Italy has to win like that...a poor call in my opinion. Aside from all the yellow cards / poor officiating, the dramatic diving has to stop (figo at the end of the match yesterday, Ghana against the US, Italy today etc)...if the refs are gonna card like they are, dives should get cards too...

and Figo should be suspended ... for the head-but and the dive. He's supposed to be a respectable veteran, but he acted like a lil' b*tch in yesterday's match...

/rant

ahh...I love the world cup...

Jun 26, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
AP

matteo,
italia e' una buona squadra, ma loro non hanno giocato come' una squadra di campioni (durante tutto del torneo). penso che oggi era l'ultima vittoria per gli azzuri...

Jun 26, 06 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Ukraine beats Switzerland in P.K.'s?!...with Switzerland missing their first 3?!

crazy stuff...only a few cards, though...

Jun 26, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

as bad as the cards were in the portugal-dutch game..this game
was in the reverse...some clear challenges that deserved cards
and for whatever reason received none. somehow the players
didn't lose their tempers cause there were some cleats-up
challenges over the ball that could have caused major injuries..

do they practice pks in switzerland?

Jun 26, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

all this talk about the cards. looks like referees are stealing the show.
i am still sad about australia. what a way to lose a possible quarter finals for a beginner. i hope this doesn't breake the aussie hearts to a degree that they regress to rugby...
swiss on the other hand deserved what they got. loosing 3 penalty kicks in a row? first time i am convinced pk's are more just than flipping the coin like the old days...

Jun 26, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
upside

yeah, orhan, at the moment no ones talking about it, cant read the paper and i think the whole country's waiting for the weekend where we can see 20 goals a game and can do this and not get sent off..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQzgwfFRbqs&search=afl%20

Jun 26, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
morfo

argentina and spain

Jun 26, 06 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

i've lost respect for Italian football now !!.. nothing left in it ..

lars,
sorry about Sweden .... but you know that they played BS against Germany ... I was rooting for them coz i'm fond of Larsson ... and he had to miss out on a penalty like that .. never seen him miss one .. so i guess it was time !!

Jun 27, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

and i've been having so many sleepless nights ( damn these game timings) ... i'm actually running on a diet of caffeine tabs and red bull ...

i'm far too hyper and my hand shakes !!

Jun 27, 06 12:44 am  · 
 · 
Becker

bloody italy!!

Australia V italy ... the most boring game ever! only to end in bitter dissapointment!

Jun 27, 06 12:56 am  · 
 · 
French

Guys
I would hate to be Zinedine Zidane tonight...
That's all my prediction for this evening game...

Jun 27, 06 6:04 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

hmmm .. yeah ... i kinda want spain to win

lets see

Jun 27, 06 6:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: