Archinect
anchor

Good OBJECTIVE line for resume

How about..

I want to work in a fun fast paced firm that will pay me good money.

Jul 14, 04 4:10 pm
betamax

objective lines are useless...everyone already knows what your objective is, to get a job. you aren't going to send a resume to a firm you with whom you do not want a job are you? save the space for more pertinent information such as experience, education, etc.. even foreign travel...always a good conversation topic if its on your resume.

Jul 14, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
A

I was being somewhat sarcastic but I do have a more serious question. What type of portfolio would one use who has been out in the business for about 4 years now. There is some graphical things I've done at work and of course there are completed projects. Should I arrange that into a portfolio like I used right out of college?

Jul 14, 04 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

Articulate the same statement a bit more and that about sums it up. Its Honest.
Or you can lie and say something like: Seeking permanent place of employment to grow old and miserable while making less money than all of my 4-year business degree friends....never affording what I design for other people, if I ever get to design anything beyond an accessible bathroom or Exiting Diagram.
Mention Room finish schedules are your specialty, and an occasional Door/Window/Natural Light and Ventilation Schedule would really motivate you to work over 40 hours a week without overtime pay. Insurance Nah....vacation....don't take 'em.

Jul 14, 04 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
JG

I agree, I review many resumes and I blow past the objective. Most people don't even use those anymore. A couple of other pointers if you care:

-a nice color to make your name stand out is nice
-don't use crazy fonts or too many
-don't use images on your resume unless is minimal and makes sense.
-if you have to send it over email send it as a PDF, don't send it as text in the body of the email. (also don't send a .DOC file).

Jul 14, 04 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
redchairs

This topic was pretty well exhausted a couple weeks ago...

Resume Advice, professional or not?

defenestrator

06/18/04 20:19

Jul 15, 04 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
geezer

Hopefully you've researched the place enough to know what they are looking for and what will make them bite...

Sadly, for most firms the review of the resume is not to find your unique characteristics but what the reader/boss/manager is looking for at that moment in time.

I like objective lines. Besides stating what you think you want, it helps the interviewer figure out what you might really be like as a employee.

It really isn't about you.

Jul 15, 04 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ex-Army Dude

OBJECTIVE:

Locate a creative design position in a progressive architectural firm where quality in design is paramount. A place where my streght in management and design can inspire creativity and productivity with cutting edge technology and professionalism.

Jul 15, 04 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
redchairs

I've seen it all, and although differing firms want to see different things portfolio-wise, we look for clear-thinking, concise expression of thought and example of the applicant's design work. Frankly, we know that examples of work submitted are not necessarily work that the particular applicant has DESIGNED - design with firms is a collaborative effort, and especially if you are youthful in your career (7 yrs, less) it's likely your work samples are not YOURS, so if they are, make that clear (competitions etc.).

And, as an added note - spelling - GAWD! Get it right - pull-leaze! Just today I received a letter from someone - obviously English not their first language - but they were DYING to work in Las Angles! (although they had Los Angeles spelled correctly on the address in the cover letter...). And please, SIMPLIFY! best o'!

Jul 16, 04 1:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: