Archinect
anchor

Holidaying Architectural Snaps 06

BOTS

Well Archinectors the holiday season is upon us with summer here (Northern Hemisphere). I'm off on my holls to France and will be passing some great works of Architecture. Please post up your recent holiday snaps or the architecture you have visited (one or two images) using an image web host and add some comments. Like....

That building was even better than the journals showed?
What a pile of shite.
They wouldn't let me in!
The roof leaked.

My most recent snap from my holiday in February was this beauty. I'll be sure to share more in two weeks.

May 30, 06 6:50 am
BOTS

Oh yeah I was just passing. I didn't have my holiday in Ronchamp!

May 30, 06 6:51 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Northern Ireland, last weekend:

May 30, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 

barcelona, about a month or so ago wow! great city.
stayed in hotel opposite Agbar.
i think its pretty damn cool.

more on flickr.com/photos/artifice

May 30, 06 7:45 am  · 
 · 
May 30, 06 7:49 am  · 
 · 

and this was a classic, an architecture student was going around measuring all the little holes in the travertine, at the Barcelona pavilion.

May 30, 06 7:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Holidaze? i'm busier than hell!

May 30, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

vado - come on now, all work and no play ?

May 30, 06 9:40 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vado posted some lovely pics of men in kilts and hula girls in grass skirts on Thread Central. That was his vacation.

Sorry for that brief interruption. BOTS, I think this holiday architouring photos is a fantastic idea for a thread!! And I will contribute as soon as I possibly can which will most likely be late August. Unless I see something cool on my drive to the tile distributor right now. Enjoy your time off everyone!

May 30, 06 10:28 am  · 
 · 
rutger

In april we made a trip to Almere to see the city centre. The OMA masterplan seems to work well. There is a high starchitect density with buildings by OMA (on the right) , Alsop, Portzamparc, Sanaa and many others.

May 30, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Good responses. Ideally the photo should have you in them holding a pose in the appropriate manner for an Architect on holiday.

May 30, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Nice, Mr. Modular!

May 30, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

sweet - I find see if I can find some of my Oz photos to share

thinking of going to Poland in August more to share I'm sure

May 30, 06 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

not a vacation, but i was just in chicago for a conference...

me at the pritzker pavillion by FOG in millenium park

the south garden at the art institute by dan kiley

anish kapoor's untitled "cloud gate" in millenium park

the rest of my flickr set... more to be added soon...
flickr

May 30, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

was at (or above) Millau on Friday crossing Foster's bridge.

link

The on road experience was pretty dull, the mortorway driving arround the Aveyron region was spectacular.

I couldn't get me and the bridge in one shot as it all happened so fast.

Jun 10, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Some pics of 'Sarkhej Mosque' in Ahmedabad, India

Jun 11, 06 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

^whoa - thats skin is amazing....

Jun 11, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yes, and its at least 600-700 years old!!!

Jun 11, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

these are from your last trip, doc?

Jun 12, 06 8:39 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

i went in december, and they had all sort of half-broken PWD/ASI furniture lying around inside there. there was a big steel and plywood standard-issue conference table with those old government office-type mies chair rip-offs in the room in the second photo.

it was surprisingly beautiful, looked strangely appropriate. you could just imagine ASI clerks sitting around sipping oversweet creamy chai, swatting flies and wiping the dusty sweat off their foreheads while ignoring yellowing files and bitching about their superior officers. all this in that mottled light and shade of the jali's...

sorry man, i get really nostalgic about gujarat sometimes. as i'm sure you'll understand...

Jun 12, 06 8:46 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yes ticker these from my last trip in november....i wonder what the chairs and tables were doing there....
getting a bit nostalgic myself sifting through all the pictures to upload here....speaking of which i shall upload some more later..

Jun 12, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

i just returned from a trip to milwaukee over thanksgiving weekend... here are a few pictures of calatrava's extension to the milwaukee art museum, plus a picture of me sampling some beers after the miller brewery tour (my dad just got a job there which prompted my parents move to milwaukee), and also some pictures of wilco at louis sullivan's auditorium theater in chicago... enjoy...

the museum's "wings" flap every day at noon...

Dec 1, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

can we say sloshed?

Jan 14, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: