Archinect
anchor

Trying desperately to get an internship.

Vae Victus

I'm on summer break from school and I'm trying to get an internship in Beijing China. My plan is pretty simplistic: show up at offices in a suit with my portfolio and ask for an opportunity. The thing is that I go to RISD and I didn't go into my architecture major yet. Do you think I have a chance of getting a job? I'm not even going to ask for any pay or other rewards. I do have all A's in my studio classes, including one architecture. I would like some input before I'm go ahead and try this foolhardiness. Oh, and do you know some architecture offices I could perhaps visit in Beijing China? Thanks alot for reading this.
-rookie

May 28, 06 7:32 pm
Emerson123

If you're desparate to get a job in Bejing, doesn't RISD have some kind of job placement program? At least that would be a good place to start; they may be able to put you in contact with people to talk to.

Also, try AIESEC. They are a program that sets up people with international jobs.

But if you can afford to go there and work for free, why not just go there and travel instead, building your sketching/photography skills? You'll use those more right now anyway, and maybe you could go back there later on to work with your previous exposure to their culture as a way to get your foot in the door.

On another note, isn't it a bit late to be thinking about this? Shouldn't the ball have been rolling a long time ago?

May 28, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

emmerson is right, besides you have years ahead of you to intern, why not enjoy your time with no responsibilities

May 29, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

our summer intern is changing lightbulbs and reorganizing office supplies...

May 29, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Emerson: RISD students don't have time to think, let alone get an internship during the school year. Especially during foundation. Getting a good internship is wholly up to the student. RISD's Career Services office is pretty lame.

I interned three consecutive summers while at RISD. In fact, my internship experiences were so much more rewarding than the time I spent in the Architecture department that I ended up switching to a different department.

I hope that you can find something, Vae. It'll help you get some perspective when you're mired in the BEB.

May 29, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Emerson: RISD students don't have time to think, let alone get an internship during the school year. Especially during foundation. Getting a good internship is wholly up to the student. RISD's Career Services office is pretty lame.

I interned three consecutive summers while at RISD. In fact, my internship experiences were so much more rewarding than the time I spent in the Architecture department that I ended up switching to a different department.

I hope that you can find something, Vae. It'll help you get some perspective when you're mired in the BEB.

May 29, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

if your interested in china see if peter tagiuri is still teaching the 'ghost cities' summer studio. it was a month-long 'student exchange' where we pumped out an urban development plan for a city being destroyed by the three gorges dam.

May 29, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: