Archinect
anchor

yet another job posting, with a twist

pomoinmono

yes, this is another job question, but the twist is that i'm not an architect. thrilling right?

my question necessitates longwinded background info that i'll condense into a dossier

Name: I.M.Torn

Education: Bachelor's of Fine Arts in Dance (receiving Saturday)

Work Exp: 2 years part-time (summer full time) at design firm in NYC, worked on CDs, millwork details, spec'ing, assist to principal graphic designer, etc.etc.

Future educational plans: apply to Princeton, Cooper, GSD, et al. in two years

Future goals: architect with very experiental take on space (literally moving), choreographing on the side, specifically site-specific work. yeah yeah, it's unrealistic i know. forget that for a second.

within the context of these goals, I have been applying everywhere. actually, posting might be a bad idea because some of you might have seen my resume. hmmm. i'll ignore that.

through a great contact who has bee nreally helpful, i had an interview today at a high-end residential construction firm. they were super nice, accepting of my background, and offered me a job on the spot as an assistant project manager (2/3 in office, 1/3 on site). wow. i said i'd like to take some time to think about it.

now, i'm wondering how great of an idea it is to continue "diversifying" myself. i'm already pretty all over the place in terms of interests and it takes a lot of energy in conversation to explain how they all fit together. what's the consensus?

would working there make me a more interesting candidate for grad school?

would it make me a better job applicant in the future?

is it worth it to lose time developing design skills in order to learn about the construction process?

May 15, 06 8:06 pm
liberty bell

RE: your last sentence: if anything, learning about the construction process can only help your design skills. If you want to be a designer you can't really consider anything in your life to be time "lost" to learning about design, it's all of a piece.

Construction management experience can make you not only attractive to a grad school, but highly marketable as an employee. I can easily see working a day job as a CM and making plenty of money to blow on pursuing spatial choreography projects on the side.

Not to further diversify you, but it sounds to me like you might consider pursuing set design.

May 15, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

yes! it will be immensely useful to your future schooling and career, not to mention confidence, esp. important given your background and fears of being 'different'. and you can get paid for it as well...

May 16, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
pomoinmono

Liberty bell and R.A. Rudolph -

Thanks for the advice .... I asked for clarification on my job responsibilities and I do think you are right that it will be immensely helpful and boost my confidence. The salary is a plus too. Thank you for helping assuage my fears .....

May 18, 06 12:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: