Archinect
anchor

Architecture in Portugal?

atsama

hi all
going to Portugal in a few weeks - will have a car...anyone have anything to recommend? Will definitely hit Porto and see the recent (and not-so-recent stuff there) but looking for anything else worth seeing that is off the beaten track.

thanks

May 11, 06 2:01 pm
jasmin

Recommend Eduardo Souto De Moura and Alvaro Siza's work..Never been there though..If I go I certainly go and see some of their work..Bon voyage

May 11, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
Promontório

are in Lisbon but they are good (and young), maybe they have something built in Porto..

May 11, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
bugy
http://www.airesmateus.com/
May 11, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
pamplemousse

Cascais outside of Lisbon is worth seeing. The entire train line surrounding Lisbon along the ocean is worth seeing, to be honest. Cascais is on one end of the line.

And go visit Sintra. It's absolutely amazing. Go there, no matter what.
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/LPIPOD04/BN54_402.jpg
http://my.opera.com/RichardCooper/homes/albums/3802/1592-pena-palace-sintra-port.jpg
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/LPIPOD04/BN54_204.jpg
http://image20.webshots.com/21/8/14/71/191481471LPivQt_ph.jpg

May 11, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
jgeis

if you've got porto covered, i can recommend some stuff in other places in that region...

between lisbon and porto you can drive through aveiro, where there's a university campus with great buildings by various portuguese architects, like the library by siza, dining hall by aires mateus, dorms by diaz, and a bridge by carillho da graça. the town of aveiro is worth a visit too.

north of porto you'll find braga, where souto de moura did a market and pretty recently a beautiful concrete football stadium that is half-set in a mountain. to get to the stadium you'll need to drive on the highway a bit outside the city (there are plenty of signs leading the way). though you can't get inside (let alone really close to the exterior) unless there's a game going on and you have a ticket!

also close to porto in a town called marco de canavezes you'll find the santa maria church by siza.

don't know how off-the-beaten-track these recommendations are, but definitely worth visiting. have a great trip!!!

May 13, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 
ampoule

the thing i liked alot was that EVERYWHERE this is something amazing to see - whether it was new, old or just odd. tiled walls are excellent.

batalha (between lisbon and oporto) - if you haven't been to europe before, there's the cathedral and cloisters here

fatima - larger pilgramage space than st. peters.

figueria de foz - nice seaside town - supposed to be hip, but we were there on an sunday night. looked for the supposed phoenecian ruins, but couldn't find them.

Ellipsis publishes miniature books of cities and architecture in them. i had the lisbon one when i went. found it at half price books.

and get ready for ham, cheap wine and fish...

May 13, 06 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
ampoule

oh, and yes, wantanfon5 is right - go to sintra!

AMAZING. you will want to move there. we saw a place for sale and were wondering...

the palace de pena is bezerk.

May 13, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
paula

Agreed on Aires Mateus. I thought the 'Rector's Office at Universidade Nora de Lisboa' was excellent. You can reach it by bus and then walking a bit, as it is clear out of the tourist spots in Lisbon. The guy at the front desk gave me a tour of the building when I introduced myself as an architect. (on www.airesmateus.com as above).

Get lost walking around the back streets of Alfama in Lisbon too. Fado music!

Just as timely as the MOMA 'New Architecture of Spain', there should be one of Portugal. Incredibly innovative work coming out of there.

May 16, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

yeah paula, if i was a design curator at moma i would have gotten a tour too! are you sure the current spain exhibitis as timely as you think? maybe it's time to stop playing it so safe and actually take a risk that does more than satisfy your trustees and primary benefactors...but then again if moma was about risks it wouldn't be so fossilized. guess you'll be changing your login name!

May 16, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 
job job

? what was that about - why should paula feel the need to change her username? she introduced herself as an architect, not a moma curator/shrieking harpy

i lost my wallet at this lisbon nightclub lux, thus transforming myself into the trip-vagabond for my friends to suffer.

May 16, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

ok, snowi- you're right...apologies to Paula. I just assumed she would want to change her user name once she realized that there are lunatics out there such as myself who would abuse this forum for hostile purposes. Secretly, though not any more, I have held a grudge against her for having rebuffed me. I love Portugal, but think it's time to promote the "less famous" rather than all of the usual suspects all of the time.

May 16, 06 9:33 am  · 
 · 
simples

walk up through the smaller alfama street to the ruins of the castelo de sao jorge, just outside the old downtown lisbon area; when you arrive there, and hopefully you will get lost on the way (very picturesque smaller streets), climb up one of the guard towers facing lisbon; turn your back to the city, take on the silence and serenity of the ruins, along with the colors and scale, the stones, trees, wind...turn around and face lisbon, you will feel the city, as a living being below you, you will hear its noise, you will feel its energy, you will smell its life; also, have plenty of Porto wine, then go for a long evening walk...

May 16, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Arquitectura.pt

Hello,

You have plenty of places to visit here:
Arquitectura.pt Maps

It's a portuguese reference using Google Maps with localizations and places to visit, architecture ateliers addresses, monuments and events.

--
Arquitectura.pt - Portuguese Architecture Community

Oct 11, 06 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
c

have never been - but i often see pictures here...
www.ultimasreportagens.com
.....that make me want to go.

Oct 12, 06 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
noMSG

Tapping into what seems to be an old conversation, but recomendations for traveling between these places and throughout Portugal, either by car or PT?

Jul 16, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
xcconstruções

If anyone needs support for construction in Portugal, my company is available to collaborate!

Best Regards!

[email protected]

Mar 6, 17 6:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: