Archinect
anchor

California Building Code

silverlake

Is there anywhere I can download or find for free the California Building Code? I find myself needing access more and more and I'm too much of a tight ass to spend almost $300 for it....

Jul 11, 04 3:59 pm
Mum

Why doesn't your firm purchase it?

Jul 11, 04 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

You should be able to look at the version your municipality has adapted in the reference section of your library, provided that you live in California. Otherwise, I think you are out of luck.

Jul 11, 04 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

silverlake,

This will help you answer alot of questions. Good luck.

http://www.dsa.dgs.ca.gov/Publications/default.htm

Jul 11, 04 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I just started working on my own so I don't have a lot of the valuable resources I need yet.

Thanks, this is helpful.

Jul 12, 04 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
satan

sorry, but i don't think you'll find any 'offical' variations of this anywhere. cali code is based on ICBO and modified to fit the specific climate of nice weather and fine sandy beaches. the IBC is copywrited and no state or local agency is allowed to deliver it by digital means. but i'm sure someone has made a pdf out of it. good luck.

Jul 12, 04 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Also, if you are looking for code in reference to residential projects, depending on the city you are working in they may have adopted a special code for that. LA uses (or last I asked) the BOCA one and two family dwelling code (at least I think that's what it's called). About $35 on the BOCA website (I ordered it at the last office I worked at). For zoning, each city has their own code and it is usually available online these days.

Jul 12, 04 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

R.A. is right. In my limited experience, California is a building code quagmire....with local jurisdictions initiating their own code, and/or heavily modifying the standard code.

Also beware that the ADA is superceded by Title 23? in most cases, which is even more stringent on accessible guidelines. We have had negative experiences with multiple interpretations of this code, which is more heavily enforced depending on your jurisdiction.

Jul 13, 04 10:59 am  · 
 · 
caste

I just moved from chicago to silverlake and i have a question for you native californians. Is there any zoning ordinances here, it seems like anything gores. Its a mess,, entertaining as the juxtapositions may be.

Jul 14, 04 12:53 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
http://cityplanning.lacity.org/
Jul 14, 04 1:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: