Archinect
anchor

Recommend me a book...

standaman

Please recommend a book that introduces the different procedures of design practice (turnkey, design-build-finance, etc.), and respectively the overall processes and steps that a firm might go through from project acquisition to completion. It would be great for the book to have other general insights on running a design firm.

Basically I want something like the AIA handbook, but more user-friendly (less of a manual and more narrative/introduction).

May 1, 06 8:37 pm
PsyArch

Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote

May 1, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

Can't go that route: afraid of horses.

May 1, 06 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore
May 2, 06 1:15 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
May 2, 06 2:27 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

^^ yeah right .... never worked for me !! Apprentice... shepprentice !!!

May 2, 06 2:47 am  · 
 · 
tworings

haha, i'll back the trump book.

seriously though, i just finished "a short history of nearly everything" by bill bryson, and i would definitely recommend it. it is a science book, but is easy to read (compared to most science books). the author has a good sense of humour (humour because he's british), and the book discusses everything from atomic structure, to astronomy, to evolution. it is sort of a history book about science.

May 2, 06 3:27 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

^^oh yeah .. I read that one couple of years back .. it's a good book ..
but it does tend to drag a lil' bit in the begining !!

May 2, 06 3:31 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Bill Bryson might well live in Britain, but he is a Yank. Very funny, as Americans go...

May 2, 06 7:04 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I think Bryson lives in New Hampshire now. Born in Iowa. Just finished The Lost Continent.

Did anyone actually read the OP's post? Or just the thread title?

In any case I'd recommend The Time Traveler's Wife for some real easy but well written writing. My ex-girlfriend told me that it was a girl's book and so I shouldn't tell people hat I am reading it. ...although she's the one who gave it to me.

May 2, 06 7:10 am  · 
 · 
tworings

haha, i just checked and you're right. bryson's a yank. my neighbor gave me "notes from a small island" a few years ago, and mentioned that he was british. also, i just realized what the original poster, standaman, was actually looking for a design guideline look. oops.

May 2, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

doesn't matter, everyone should read "short hist. of nearly everything"... do it.

May 2, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

The Bible

May 2, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

May 2, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

The Sheltering Sky

May 2, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Check out the thread titled Urville - seems to be a unique and new way to enter the space of urban planning.

May 3, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

maximum city by suketu mehta

May 3, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

wait...now i read the first post

this is a good book, a textbook actually that provides a general introduction to these concepts. there's a lot of explaination of pretty much all the aia forms that concern the construction process as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471309680/sr=1-1/qid=1146679511/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5542828-2398563?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

May 3, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

You might want to look at The Architect's Essentials series published by Wley ... it offers a lot of material provided in The Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice, but it's much more accessible.

May 3, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

I'll back The Architect's Essentials suggestion as I own the "Starting Your Own Design Firm" edition...

I would also recommend Leadership By Design, written by the only architect in the 20th century to serve in the U.S. Congress

May 3, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

le bossman ... i'm just about to finish reading "maximum city" ... brilliant book ...

May 4, 06 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: