Archinect
anchor

anyone have any experience with stone construction?

I started a post recently regarding me building my first house for myself, and all the tangles to avoid seeing as I've become use to being the architect not the client. Now that I've accepted that I'll be taking on both roles, many more questions have come up.

The major right now, is that I'm thinking of using stone as the principle construction material. There is an abundance of it, and its relatively inexpensive where I am. I've used stone in construction but most times as cladding. I'm looking for advise or anyone's experience in the use of it as a structural/primary element.

Apr 29, 06 8:35 pm
alex_ian

i don´t know where you are or in, i can´t visit major blogsites from china,
i´d start with the masonry construction manual and then look locally...i´ve worked in places where you´d only find 60+ year olds who know how to work real stone...

Apr 29, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Kou

Not too sure but didn't Zumthor stacked layers of stones for the Vals' bath house? I don't remember that he used the stone as cladding for that project. Just a throught.....

Apr 30, 06 7:29 am  · 
 · 
Kou

* Just a thought

Apr 30, 06 7:30 am  · 
 · 
matteo

I will start from the end of the problem:
Is there someone in your area who is able to work the stone as primary structural element?

It's not easy, because now stone is used primarly in cladding.

You can draw all the details you need, check all the manuals and all the sites online, but if no one is able to do that, it's useless.

Apr 30, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

check this out, tilt up technique...

Apr 30, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

hey vado thanks for that. I've seen tilt up systems in place using a variety of materials, and in the end the means of creating the slabs are usually expensive despite the savings made with time. Similarly I'm not entirely comfortable with the jointing as the structure when complete will be faced with significant settlement.

alex_ian...I'm willing to train the labourers. There is a tradition here of using stone for the construction of retaining walls, etc but not for general use. If needs be I am willing to do the work with a trained crew of my own. I've done considerable research in single-framed stone walls - which is the basic concept behing stone retaining walls. But I have many more questions raised, like reinforcement, connection to reinforced structural members, etc

May 1, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

hey vado thanks for that. I've seen tilt up systems in place using a variety of materials, and in the end the means of creating the slabs are usually expensive despite the savings made with time. Similarly I'm not entirely comfortable with the jointing as the structure when complete will be faced with significant settlement.

matteo...I'm willing to train the labourers. There is a tradition here of using stone for the construction of retaining walls, etc but not for general use. If needs be I am willing to do the work with a trained crew of my own. I've done considerable research in single-framed stone walls - which is the basic concept behing stone retaining walls. But I have many more questions raised, like reinforcement, connection to reinforced structural members, etc

May 1, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

oops

May 1, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: