Archinect
anchor

How worthwhile are summer programs?

likil

One month ago, I paid non-refundable $300 deposit for UCLA Jumpstart program. Now i got my bill of $2550+ to pay for tuition and i am not sure if i should to take the class anymore. i will be atteding UT's 3.5 yr. program this fall. I have plenty of drawing background plus i started reading architecture books for fun on my free time. How worthwile is taking the program to prepare myself? Thanks for comments.

Apr 26, 06 5:35 pm
skeerd

i was in jumpstart last year and i took it to help build my portfolio and reaffirm my decision to go into architecture. it was extremely helpful for me since i didn't have an architecture background. if you have never taken a architecture studio course before or do not have an architectural background, i would highly recommend it. otherwise, you may be overwhelmed with the basics during your first year.

for example, jumpstart introduces you to modelling, hand drafting (vs freehand drawing) and basic computer skills in rhino and illustrator. if you have very little exposure to any or all of these, it may be worthwhile to take it.

i know it's hard to justify the cost since you were already accepted into a program, but it's better than playing catch up during the first year, which can be really frustrating.

good luck!

Apr 27, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

summer programs are great - asside from helping your portfolio it gives you greater depth in designing...

Apr 27, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: