Archinect
anchor

anybody know how door pulls connect back to back?

on my way

Anyone know how to connect door pulls back to back? I'm custom fabricating some stainless steel door pulls, but I can't find the hardware to connect them back to back through the door. The pulls look something like this:

http://www.hewi.com/produkte/produktuebersicht/...

Anyone ever done anything like this before?

Jul 9, 04 11:31 am
Ddot

At the portion of the pull that returns to the door, you might need to make a male/female type connection: where the male portion is long enough to pass through the thickness of your door, then into the matching female connection. Then, on the underside of each of these female connection locations (preferably the inside of the building) you can tap and thread a hole for a small set screw, that can be tightened with an allen wrench so that the head of the set screw is flush or slightly beneath the surface of the handle.

Similar concealed connections are common for certain plumbing fixtures and assembly-required furniture.

Jul 9, 04 11:49 am  · 
 · 
on my way

Ddot - thanks a lot. That's actually how I detailed it. However, I can't figure out where to actually get those male/female bolts. Any chance you're in New York and know of a provider...?

Jul 9, 04 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

A good source for products and specifications is www.4specs.com The discussion group there is great.

Jul 9, 04 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Also try C. R. Laurence Co. They manufacture all glass storefronts and carry all associated hardware.

Jul 9, 04 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

I assumed that the portions of the handle returning to the door could be bored out smooth. No need for threaded bolts of any kind.

I realize now how much I depend on pencil and paper to describe things, because I don't know how or what else to tell you.

Jul 9, 04 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
on my way

That's actually an interesting idea for Paul. I'm not sure how much server space he has - but it would be cool to be able to quickly upload drawings to a "workspace" so you could show someone what you're talking about - without having to upload a jpg/gif to a website...

Jul 9, 04 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

I forgot to add - yes, try CR Laurence

Jul 9, 04 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
on my way

Ddot - so do mean that the thru-bolt is welded/fixed on one side, and then fixed with the set-screw on the other side?

That seems somewhat precarious to me - to just rely on a little set screw... but maybe it's enough...

Jul 9, 04 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
on my way

Thanks a lot to everyone. CR Laurence can custom-make exactly what I need...

Archinect comes thru again.

Jul 9, 04 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: