Archinect
anchor

Practice as an intern architect

Han

I got a problem recently..........I wonder if a degree accredited by NAAB or CACB is required to look for a job in US or Canada? I mean I got my B.Arch(non-accredited degree)abroad and Post-professional M.Arch in U of Toronto. May I look for a job in US or Canada prior to have my B.Arch degree certified by NAAB or CACB?

I will appreciate if anybody know something about it....

Apr 15, 06 2:57 am
Han

Can anyone help me?

Apr 15, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
frozenmusic

Technically, you don't need an accredited degree to get a job. On the other hand, you need it to become an intern and get licensed later.

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I read once that you can send your undergraduate and graduate transcripts to sth called the office of the professions in the state or province you live in and they'll validate your degree(s) for a fee against a north american degree and award you points based on those degrees, work experience and any other post-graduate studies. If you collect a certain amount of points then you can become an intern.

I don't know about work opportunities after a masters degree in Canada but in US you're allowed to work for up to 12 months after graduation, i.e. if you gradaute from a US univ. Canada has probably different regulations, just ask around..

Apr 15, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
zink

i don't think you need a degree to become an intern

Apr 17, 06 4:25 am  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Check with the NCARB. org An ESSA evaluation is required to see if your degree can be accepted when trying to become licensed in USA

Apr 17, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

You do not need an accredited degree to get a job as an intern. If you want to get licensed, I'd advise moving to California, as they are one of very few states left that let you get licensed without an accredited degree.

Apr 17, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
frozenmusic

I got this from the NCARB website which is very similar to what I wrote earlier:

- Education

Many registration boards require applicants to have a professional degree from a program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). Foreign-educated individuals, who do not hold such a degree, may be directed to have all of their post-secondary education evaluated by NAAB. NAAB performs the Education Evaluation Services for Architects (EESA). Applications for the "EESA-NCARB" evaluation must be requested from:

National Architectural Accrediting Board Inc. (NAAB)
1735 New York Avenue, NW, 3rd Floor
Washington, DC 20006
(202) 783-2007
www.naab.org [click on "EESA"]

Fees for this service will be billed to you directly by NAAB which is a private organization, not affiliated with any architectural registration board.

Apr 17, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: