Archinect
anchor

3 Hr exterior metal studs wall?

Reason

I'm working one a project that needs a 3hr seperation between my building and one next to it. I looked at UL assembly and found a few. But one of my coworkers told me I can't use studs less than 3 1/2" for the exterior wall, since they can't stand the windload. This wall is not load bearing, since I have another layer of wall behind it to do the job. If I use 3 1/2" studs with 3 layers of GWb each side, plus metal siding, the wall gets bigger and bigger. I want to creat a similar look wall on the other side of the entry to frame it. It will be a problem to match the width. Any suggestions? Is it true I can't use smaller studs for exterior 3 Hr wall even if that wall is not loadbearing? Thank you!

Apr 13, 06 1:25 pm
el jeffe

The UL assembly will tell you what size(s) of studs are allowable - period.

Apr 13, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

The UL didn't mention about exterior use or interior use. Minimum 2 1/2" required for fire assembly. But what my coworker said, you need minimum 3 1/2" for exterior wall, from structural point of view. But UL didn't mention anything about that. I wonder where can I verify that. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Apr 13, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

what is the wall's distance to the property line? why is wind deflection a concern, you can just clip your wall into the structural system behind it as required. definitely talk to you structural.

if your building department excepts them -GA file numbers are much easier to work with.

Apr 13, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

actually, do you want to run through your use and code requirements that gets you to a 3hr non-bearing exterior wall applied to the structure?

Apr 13, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Oldgoey, please forgive my iganorance, what is USG Design Guide?

Thanks everyone for your help. I may call structure to figure it out.

The background, I'm doing a remodel and addition to a project that sharing a same wall as the other building. The code require a 3 hr seperation between these two parts, so they will act as two seperate buildings. The new 3hr wall is between exsiting and new addition that continue the existing conc wall. So the weight bearing column is next to the existing wall. Hard to explain.

Apr 13, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: