Archinect
anchor

advice for aspiring M.Arch student

TheRob12

Greetings,

Like many others in these discussions, I'm a student with a non-Arch/design background (physics/philosophy) and am planning to apply to M.Arch I programs this coming fall. I've beniffted greatly from reading many of the discussion and checking out posted portfolios - thanks. I wondering if I could get some advice/insight on a couple things.

First, does anyone have recommendations on books that give a good introduction to architecture or some aspect of architecture? i.e. what should a prospective student who knows very little about "architecture" start off reading?

Second, it seems like some non-arch people have had luck getting architecture jobs and internships. I have plenty of computer experience bit no specific CAD experience. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether there would be any jobs/internships available and how I might go about finding these?

Thanks for the help!

Apr 12, 06 12:59 pm
ichweiB

Read anything about phenomenology in architecture. check out Kenneth Frampton's Studies in Tetctonic Culture, Towards a Critical Regionalism, etc...
Rem's Delerious New York...heck everyone will have a different opinion about what to look at.

Lewis Tsurumaki Lewis does good renderings by hand, and with computer. Check out their website. Check out SHOP architects and Open Office. Lewis Tsurumaki Lewis gives you a good understanding of how diagram moves to built form.
Neil Denari is a good example of architecture as skin and its influences on the west coast....

Apr 12, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Jj01

coming from an anthro background and going through the whole grad application thingy...good luck and go for it.
recommendation:
take as many art classes you can:
drawing, pottery, photography, architecture...anything that can fatten up your portfolio and to prove that your visually sensitive.
readings:
any architecture magazines
LTL architects have been one of my inspirations as well.

Apr 12, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

ugh, architecture magazines? apart fromt he occasional a+u i have given up on them. this site is better by far than most mags...

as for books kenneth frampton's modern architecture: a critical history is def the best overall intro to the last hundred years of architecture that i have read.

no tips on the internship thing but am sure it is possible, especially if you explain your plans...

luck

Apr 12, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

I'm a fan of K.M. Hayes' "Architecture Theory since 1968" (way better than the Jencks books, IMO) and coming from a philosophy background, the book should be an easy read. "1000 Years of Nonlinear History" by Manuel DeLanda. Stan Allen, R. Somol, Sanford Kwinter, and Jeff Kipnis essays. "Translations from Drawing to Building" by Robin Evans. Get good books on Corb, the Bauhaus and Mies too; modernism is still alive and well, so you should be uncomfortably familiar with it.

-andrew

Apr 12, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

My favorites are Le Corbusier, and Mies Van Der hoi. It seems like everyone now is leaning toward LEED design (sustainability thing), cheaper - stronger - efficient... however it lacks something, something ancient Romans and Greeks had.

My advice to you, if you haven't done so yet, learn how to do construction documents. This book helped me alot: "A Manual of Construction Documentation", by Glenn E.Wiggins.

good luck!

Apr 12, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: