Archinect
anchor

CD Swap!

liberty bell

Let's get Swap #7 rolling.

As special incentive, whoever gets a CD from me this time around will get an added bonus Holiday Music CD!!!

And, I may also throw in the cheesy jazz CD vado and I got at the Delta faucet event we both attended - "Urban Sounds for Urban Faucets" or something like that. But I may save that for Swap #9.

Nov 9, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

LB, Vado...Since I haven't heard from Quix, would you guys be interested in my Covers mix?

Nov 9, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

send it on over!!!

Nov 9, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

me too, aquino!

Nov 9, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

i'm up for 'soul crush'. or anything. 'cheez doodles' would be fine.

Nov 9, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
bronson, architect/assassin

i want to get back in the mix. (ba-bap-bum-bash)
i sent out a mix a few swaps back; i don't remember where i sent it.

yes, i'm digging the 'soul crush' and i just mis-typed 'soul curse' which could be interesting too.

i also thought that some critical regionalism could be cool.....
old philly soul; detroit rock'n'soul; dirty south blues+bass; sf psychedelic funk; ny noise+new wave; Or just your current local scene.

Nov 9, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i want in on the next round!

VR - methinks my mailbox was expecting some bumping from you.

Nov 9, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

aquino, send your covers mix to me - you have my address, right? - and I'll take care of Midwest distribution.

So: soul crush?

Nov 9, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
aml

wow, i was driving today and popped steven's mix with the raul malo [sp?] songs, and i thought... when's that next cdswap going to be?

then i had a very nice class with my 2nd year students, very relaxed... they are all drawing highway overpasses because we're having them design stuff under them, and since i had my brand new 2 megabite pendrive, and we were listening to music, i had them give me a ton of mp3s... we'll see what these kids are listening nowadays [surprisingly, some of the music was what i heard when i was a kid.. it is now retro]

[hello cd swap!]

er.. that means i'm also in

Nov 9, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

so we have:

liberty bell
steven
theaquino
bronson
stephanie
aml
vado?
n_?

anyone else?

Nov 10, 07 8:24 am  · 
 · 

yea me! please!!

Nov 11, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I realized I screwed up; vado's theme suggestion was "Soul Harvest" not crush. I think he and I must have been talking about the soul-crushing task of layer managmenet and I conflated the two discussions.

So, Soul Harvest.

Nov 11, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 

soul harvest? 'soul crush' suggested break-up songs. 'soul harvest' suggests the grim reaper. creepy.

ok. cool.

gotcha architecnophilia! i'll update the list after a few more have the chance to respond.

Nov 11, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I think I may sit it out this round. I need to get my life together and focus on my portfolio and the never-ending freelance work.

Nov 11, 07 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

So, last week I purged my desk of many sheets and other assorted detritus and lost the envelopes with addresses on them. So if you could email me your address if you want my cover mix. Sorry.

I like the 'soul crush' idea. I also really like the locale/regionalism idea a lot as well.

I too will be including a holiday mix as well.

Nov 12, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

wha's the theme going to be dudes? i can do my mix this weekend, but if i don't do it this weekend i won't be able to get it together till december...yikes!

i like the regional idea. and i like the soul/harvest/crush...

Nov 15, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 

i think it's come around to soul harvest - to be interpreted how you like. i'll give a little more time for some 'me toos' before i make a swap list.

Nov 15, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

liberty bell
steven
theaquino
bronson
stephanie
aml
vado? (yeah, he'll do it.)
architechnophilia

is this all? are we all in? shall i make the list?

Nov 19, 07 7:26 am  · 
 · 

ok people. get ready for sooooooouuuuuuul harvest.

here's the list. i don't think there are any repeats.

lb > architechnophilia
architechnophilia > vado
vado > bronson
bronson > aml
aml > aquino
aquino > steven
steven > stephanie
stephanie > lb

ready - set - GO!!!

Nov 21, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Woohoo!!! Mine is - shocker - already almost done. You see, I'm kinda cheating - I have a 19 disc set of Time Life Solid Gold Soul....

techno, should I send it to your "new house"? (Did you buy it yet?)

yay!

Nov 21, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

stephanie - i know i sent you copies of a previous swap once before but i don't remember which one(s). will you please let me know which so that i don't repeat anything this time around?

Nov 26, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Sweet, just sent the "Covers" out...

Vado...I need your address

Nov 26, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

steven, did you get my e-mail?
is the theme "soul harvest?"
sorry i am so confused and late on the game.

Dec 14, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

stephanie - yes and yes!

Dec 14, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

just sent my latest installment to stephanie. i cheated a little.

because i wanted to do local music, her discs are 'local harvest' instead of 'soul harvest'. i'll go ahead and post the list soon. it's not like i'll be giving anything away because very few of these artists are known more than 100 miles from here. ya'll might know a couple...

Jan 30, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
aml

i also sent mine to theaquino, he should have it by now... then realized he should be a bit confused, since i decided to follow a previous suggestion by steven and did soul harvest as in songs to do with death. but a lot of songs are in spanish, so that might not have been all that clear. should be a peppy cd nonetheless.

Jan 30, 08 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

this is what i sent to stephanie. she should have it by monday or so.

local harvest, louisville

one (old forester distillery on cover)
-first self-portrait series - rachel's – music composed to accompany a play about the life of egon schiele.
-away we go – moon –i actually got a liner credit for background vocals on this album … not on this song. moon is an architect friend, since moved.
-the gift - nod
-off the record - my morning jacket – of course.
-stained glass jesus - dharmachine
-clockwork - cabin
-motel magazine - cricket
-brain hemorrhage - cherub scourge – 51 seconds of punk!
-wicked mean and evil - bodeco – one of the best dirty loud sloppy drunk rock bands ever to play a live show.
-hourglass - rain chorus – rain chorus and danny flanigan (see below) are basically synonymous. same band, with danny leading.
-nature of the flow - king kong – these guys sell out in japan but hardly ever play here.
-you will miss me when i burn - palace brothers – one of the many names by which will oldham is known.
-sunny dream - iamis
-big apple café - those legendary shack shakers – not really a louisville band, but they get honorary inclusion because they’re here all the time and they know that the big apple café is the first place in tennessee to serve alcohol after a run of dry counties in southwestern kentucky.
-three hundred pounds - satchel's pawn shop – a howlin’ wolf classic by my friends. two architect-types in this band, along with a surveyor, a painter, and a carpenter.
-every time i turn around - johnny berry
-i got a rocket in my pocket - jimmie logsdon – a local hero, still lives in a little house in the city, hung out with hank williams sr, and had a radio show before going rock-n-roll in the late 50s.
-my old drunk friend - freakwater
-no one answers - the rumors
-closer unknown - l'woo
-west beuchel back step - satchel's pawn shop - my best friend christopher on sax and piano.

two (hillerich & bradsby/louisville slugger on cover)
-egon edith & wally meet - rachel's – more from the egon schiele set.
-prescription blues – pajo – former member of legendary louisville band slint, king kong, tortoise, stereolab, zwan, and others.
-sooner - my morning jacket
-24 a day - john mann – another buddy, teaches elementary school.
-drivin' around - satchel's pawn shop
-provider - days of the new – yep, the one and only! from the second album, the one where they lost all the rawk fans they garnered with the first. (the second was better.)
-wastin' my time – pleasureville – john mann’s college band, with the drummer from satchel’s pawn shop.
-this is what i miss - danny flanigan
-sylvia doom - dharmachine
-windshears - l'woo
-the hardest days - the rumors
-marmalade maggie - the merediths
-easy ridin' mama - devil in a woodpile – a chicago collaboration including our locally famous paul k (for kopasz).
-bottle not in my hand - dallas alice
-games - king kong
-party peeps and sheep - iamis
-walking through the park - those legendary shack shakers
-throw it up - kaotik d – not the best rapping, certainly, but has the most louisville spirit. um, yeah.
-the same - the fervor
-southbound to marion - rachel's
-floor, door, i don't wanna party anymore - king kong

Feb 2, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

I am having a cd swap day. Listening to AML's right now as i would rather be in South America than Indiana.

Jun 9, 09 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Has it really been 2.5 years since the last CD swap? Anyone want to get one going?

May 22, 10 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

could be fun to resuscitate it...

May 22, 10 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

yes, i want in! i haven't participated in a tape swap (well, i guess, CD swap), in ages. need exposure to new music, seem sort of stuck (musically) and love sharing, too...

anyone else still listen to cassettes? i'm open to going the cassette route, too....

May 23, 10 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Geof

I would love to be a part of this.

May 23, 10 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

i don't even have anything that'll play a cassette anymore...

May 23, 10 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

i recently dug my cassette deck out from my parents' basement, where it had been living for the past eight years. still works great and also got some excellent sortofadditions to my music collection, including great mixtapes from my high school best friend, and choice shows from my first 2 years being a college radio dj. i would love to be able to contribute a lot of the stuff i'm listening to now (all these old tapes), but i haven't gotten around to converting them to digital AND a bunch of stuff is out of print so i really don't have any other way to share it.

i guess i'd settle for cd if i had to. as long as it's something tangible, and it comes in the mail!

May 24, 10 12:36 am  · 
 · 

yea I need to pay it forward. I got a cd from LB/DS and need to share the love

May 24, 10 12:39 am  · 
 · 
qdpv

count me in too. been accumulating a bunch of great music i want to share

May 28, 10 1:44 am  · 
 · 

okay, who's gonna be in charge of this thing?

besides me.

May 28, 10 7:32 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Since it was my idea to get this going again, I'll set up the to/from list. Anybody have ideas? Summer? Layoffs? Malaise? Un/Natural Disasters? Amateur Terrorist soundtrack? Once we get a genre, I'll set the dealine for participation.

May 29, 10 12:29 am  · 
 · 

when we started this thing a few years ago the first one was just 'soundtrack of my life right now' sort of thing. my own compilation from then is actually still one of my favorite ever mixes.

malaise could generate some cool music, but is likely to be pretty mellow. suggestion of non-energy ... don't know if i'd listen to that much.

i like un/natural disasters. it could certainly make the job harder. but hell, i like challenges.

May 29, 10 10:54 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I like the "snap shot of my life right now" idea.

May 29, 10 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

CD Swap Genre: My Life Right Now

Deadline for entry: end of business (PST) June 11. I'll publish the to/from list the following Monday morning.

I'm excited to see where you guys are and what you're listening to.

May 29, 10 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

I'm in!

Jun 1, 10 1:07 am  · 
 · 

in!

Jun 1, 10 6:59 am  · 
 · 
Geof

Do I need to say in again too? If so, consider this that.

Jun 2, 10 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

yes please

Jun 2, 10 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Gosh. A favourite thread brings me back to the 'nect. Plus one please.

Jun 2, 10 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
qdpv

so should we have our mixes ready by the 11th?

Jun 3, 10 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

i think all potential participants should speak up by the 11th so that THEaquino can compile a swap list...

Jun 3, 10 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I'd like to have the participants on the list by the 11th so that I can have the to/from list posted Monday, morning, when you guys have your CD's ready and sent out is up to you.

Jun 3, 10 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

When I read the thread title "Construction Drawing" swap was the first thing that came to mind. hahahaha

Jun 6, 10 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: