Archinect
anchor

CD Swap!

liberty bell

Haha, sorry aml, YES! I did get the cd's last week! Thanks so much for the local mix. I admit I've only listened to that one so far....but will let you know when I listen to both - I need some CAD time so I can focus on the new music I'm hearing!

Also, the covers (I mean the CD case cover) are great, I'm terribly lazy at my covers and need to step up for n_!

Sep 3, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

just got the silversun pickups disk and they rock!!!

Sep 3, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 

hope aml enjoys an embarrassment of ripoffs

here 'tis:

one
1 ziggy stardust, bauhaus/1986, david bowie/1972.
2 tonight the bottle let me down, elvis costello & the attractions/1981, merle haggard/1966.
3 strangers, golden smog/2006, the kinks/1970. golden smog is kind of a super-group, if it’s members were more famous. key players on this track are gary louris of the jayhawks and jeff tweedy of wilco.
4 draggin’ the line, r.e.m./1999, tommy james/1971. an unusually synthy r.e.m. track, came out during their transition to a trio after bill berry left.
5 the passenger, michael hutchence/1995, iggy pop/1977. from the batman forever soundtrack, hutchence’s version of this song makes more sense if you pretend you’re batman riding through gotham looking out the window.
6 crosstown traffic, the bolshoi/1985, the jimi hendrix experience/1968. a uk goth band of which I was a great fan in high school/college doing a very rough job covering a surprising pick.
7 physical (you’re so), nine inch nails/1992, adam ant/1980. adam gets a mention from me as often as possible.
8 take me home, country roads, jason & the scorchers/1995, john denver/1971. the scorchers were once hailed as the loudest live show in the world.
9 don’t think twice, it’s alright, mike ness/1999, bob dylan/1963. mike ness, the voice of social distortion, took a more country/rockabilly direction when he went solo.
10 leaving on a jet plane, drivin’ ‘n’ cryin’/1997, john denver/1967, better known version by peter, paul & mary/1969. (airplane/heartbreak song #1.)
11 spooky, daniel ash/2002, classics iv/1968. former member of bauhaus, tones on tail & love and rockets updates the grooviness of an already groovy tune.
12 femme fatale, r.e.m./1987, velvet underground/1966. despite the rough recording, i’ve always thought this was an very effective/affective version of this song.
13 evening gown, alejandro escovedo/2000, mick jagger/1993. escovedo, sheila e’s uncle and a member of country punk band rank and file, gone solo, covering a solo stone.
14 angie, tori amos/1992, rolling stones/1973.
15 looks like i’m up shit creek again, nora o’connor/2000, tom waits/1971. a song from back when tom waits still had a singing voice – not as nice as ms o’connor’s, though. this song always needed some steel guitar anyway.
16 love hurts, gram parsons/emmylou harris/1973, everly brothers/1960, a song popularized by the everly brothers and roy orbison before gram and emmylou brought their country/cosmic twist to it; more famously reincarnated in the mid-70s by nazareth as a hard rock ballad.
17 three is a magic number, blind melon/1996, bob dorough (schoolhouse rock!)/1973. when corporate rock america realized sometime in the 90s that my generation (x, slacker, whatever) was a prime marketing demographic they started mining our collective childhood for bait. i bit.
18 bring the noise, unholy trinity/2000, public enemy/1988.
19 gin & juice, the gourds/2000, snoop dogg/1993. sorry for the profanities and misogynies, but this cover was too…unlikely?…to pass up.
20 jambalaya (on the bayou), the meters/1975, hank williams/1952.
21 baba o’ riley, the waco brothers/2000, the who/1971.

two
1 summertime blues, the blue cheer/1968, eddie cochran/1958.
2 do right woman, do right man, the flying burrito brothers/1969, aretha franklin/1967. after the byrds, chris hillman and gram parsons formed the burritos. (yes, gram appears a few times in these discs.)
3 i saw the light, the the/1995, hank williams/1948. a hank song that’s become a standard, also performed by (among many others) jerry lee lewis, merle haggard, etta james, bill monroe, willie nelson, hank jr, and johnny cash.
4 i’m looking through you, the wallflowers/2002, the beatles/1965.
5 rock & roll, janes addiction/1987, velvet underground/1970.
6 superstar, sonic youth/1994, the carpenters/1971. originally recorded by ‘delaney & bonnie and friends featuring eric clapton’ and then appearing on ‘mad dogs and englishmen’ with rita coolidge and leon russell, it was the carpenters’ version that made this song huge. the sonic youth version gets at the pure stalker character of the lyric.
7 i flew over our house last night, joe henry/1993, tom t hall/1973. a good ol’ country heartbreaker. (airplane/heartbreak song #2.)
8 how can you mend a broken heart?, al green/1972, the bee gees/1971.
9 atomic power, uncle tupelo/1992, the louvin brothers/1952.
10 satellite of love, million dollar hotel band/jon hassell/milla jovovich/2000, lou reed/1972. femme fatale (on disc 1) was originally sung by a fashion model. here’s another lou reed song featuring another fashion model, also featuring bono and futuristic trumpet player jon hassell.
11 she don’t use jelly, ben folds five/1997, the flaming lips/1993.
12 perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, anna fermin’s trigger gospel/2003, doris day/1964. doris day wasn’t the first to record this song, just the best known to us in the u.s. and english wasn’t its first language. originally ‘quizás, quizás, quizás’, by cuban songwriter osvaldo farrés.
13 something stupid, the mavericks/trisha yearwood/1995, frank sinatra/nancy sinatra/1967. an addictive little song, and the first of a pair sung by velvety-voiced raul malo.
14 moon river, raul malo/2004, henry mancini orchestra/audrey hepburn/1961. a song johnny mercer wrote for the movie ‘breakfast at tiffany’s’. next to audrey, malo may be the first singer I’ve heard that can sell the ‘huckleberry friend’ line.
15 boys don’t cry, grant lee phillips/2006, the cure/1979.
16 mama told me (not to come), the wolfgang press/1991, eric burdon & the animals/1967. though the animals version was the first released and this song by randy newman was recorded by newman himself, the most known version (a #1 single) was the one by three dog night in 1970.
17 return of the grievous angel, david crosby/lucinda williams/1999, gram parsons/1973. more gram! crosby, known best for being part of crosby stills and nash, was a cohort of gram’s in the byrds. lucinda’s just sublime.
18 don’t let me down, stereophonics/2002, the beatles/1969. i still have the 45 of this beatles song, the flip side of ‘get back’.
19 i wanna be your boyfriend, pete yorn/2003, the ramones/1976.
20 dreams, black shakespeare/charlie charles/2006, fleetwood mac/1977.
21 you don’t have very far to go, lucinda williams/1994, merle haggard/1967.

three
1 fall at your feet, clare bowditch/2005, crowded house/1991. this and the following two songs are a set from a brilliant compilation of australian female artists doing songs written by tim and/or neil finn, the brothers responsible for split enz (tim-then-neil) and crowded house(neil-then-tim) and some solo and duo work.
2 stuff and nonsense, missy higgins/2005, split enz/1979.
3 i hope i never, lisa miller/2005, split enz/1980.
4 nature boy, david j/1990, nat king cole/1965. while bauhaus and love and rockets would not have been likely to cover ‘nature boy’, david j solo pulls it off very elegantly.
5 25 o’clock, they might be giants/1995, dukes of the stratosphear/1985. the dukes were an alias for xtc to try out their psychedelic sound.
6 silver wings, marshall crenshaw/1994, merle haggard/1969. (airplane/heartbreak song #3.)
7 i walk on gilded splinters, paul weller/1995, dr john/1968.
8 three hundred pounds, satchel’s pawn shop/2004, howlin’ wolf/1963. satchel’s is a louisville band that played this song live for years before finally putting it on their third album. the sax player is a best friend/architect and the contractor who did my renovation plays guitar and does some of the singing (though not on this one).
9 funny how time slips away, al green/lyle lovett,/1994, willie nelson/1960+/-.
10 when the levee breaks, kristin hersh/1994, led zeppelin/1971. zeppelin’s is just the most famous version of this one. it was written and first recorded as a blues protest song after the 1927 flood in louisiana. kristin hersh is best known from her time as singer/guitarist for throwing muses.
11 pressure drop, the clash/1978, toots & the maytals/1968+/-.
12 brand new cadillac, wayne hancock/1997, vince taylor/1958. the version more familiar to my generation is the one by the clash/1979. hancock gives a raw treatment first, but then brings the noise with horns and steel guitar.
13 dear god, sarah mclachlan/1995, xtc/1986.
14 dirty mind, dump/1998, prince/1980. dump, aka james mcnew of yo la tengo, released a whole album of prince covers called ‘that skinny motherfucker with the high voice’. first released only on cassette tape! i add this one as a curiosity. depending on your mood, it may be unlistenable.
15 i can’t hold myself in line, john doe/1994, merle haggard/1969. from a tribute album to haggard, this is a great one by the former member of x.
16 so into you, shudder to think/1996, atlanta rhythm section/1976. another cover (like sonic youth’s on disc two) that takes a perfectly innocent sounding song and gives it a stalker spin. atlanta rhythm section included members of classics iv (see disc one).
17 let me have it all, joe henry/1996, sly & the family stone/1973. when henry switched from country, he put an exclamation point on it with this tough cover of sly stone.
18 days, elvis costello/1991, the kinks/1968.
19 all over now, satchel’s pawn shop/2003, the valentinos (with bobby womack)/1964. if you don’t know bobby womack’s original, you probably know the stones’ 1964 version. this is like a bonus track, recorded at a satchel’s live show i attended in 2003 at a dive bar in louisville called uncle pleasant’s. that’s my contractor singing this time, and my friend christopher on the drunken saxophone.

Sep 3, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

sounds like a great mix steven... fyi the band i was affliated with did draggin the line and a revved up leavin on a jet plane in 1978. too bad we never recorded them. also, did a rockin version of vanity faire's "hitchin a ride." the next mix should be PowerPop orientated.

Sep 3, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

also im pissed that i lost my tulare dust cd somewherez!

Sep 3, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
aml

steven i haven't heard them yet because i'm running around today [first day of classes, always a rush] but i want to add the cd covers look great. my first reaction at your 3 cds was 'i'm not worthy!!!'

will post my list later in the day...

Sep 3, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 

what a crazy reaction, aml. i love making discs and the listening should not be taken seriously. it's all for fun, after all.

vado, lb has a copy she might burn or loan. if i'm going to see you anytime, i could also burn for you.

Sep 3, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'll loan you Steven's, vado.

aml, I've been listening to yours again all afternoon as I made dinner, helped Angus with homework, cleaned up....the covers CD is awesome! (I'll burn it for you two, vado and Steven.) Can you post the song list when you're done with first-day-of-school craziness?!?

Oh, I just saw above that you're going to - thanks! I love them!!!!

Sep 3, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
aml

cool lb, glad you liked! here it is- song, singer –album- [original composer]

1. una rosa es una rosa, (a rose is a rose) mecano –ana jose nacho- [raphael]

2. to love somebody, eagle eye cherry –y tu mama también- [gibb brothers, originally by the bee gees but also by nina simone]

3. sugar sugar, mary lou with semisonic -Saturday morning cartoons’greatest hits [the archies?!]

4. like a virgin, the cooltrane quartet, -jazz and the 80’s- [madonna]

5. feelin'good, nina simone with joe claussell remix –verve remixed- [nina simone- yes not actually a cover but a remix, i cheated]

6. la mer, (the sea) miguel bose -11 maneras de ponerse un sombrero- [charles trenet]

7. alfonsina y el mar, (alfonsina and the sea) mercedes sosa –greatest hits- [félix luna]

8. killing me softly, omara portuondo –rhythms del mundo: cuba- [charles fox and norman gimbel, recently lauren hill. I think it’s nice that its partially translated to spanish but still it’s a cover right?]

9. cucurrucucu paloma, (dove) caetano veloso –hable con ella- [romas mendez/rae]

10. as time goes by, ibrahim ferrer –rhythms del mundo: cuba- [herman hupfeld, orig. sung by frances williams 1931 but more famously in casablanca]

11. mentira salomé/palmera, (lies salome/dove) miguel bose -11 maneras de ponerse un sombrero- [2 songs in one- 1st one by ignacio pinero and 2nd by agustin lara]

12. hey jude, the mutato muzika orchestra –the royal tenembaums- [the beatles]

13. solo le pido a dios, (I only ask god) mercedes sosa –greatest hits- [leon gieco] -this is the ur-protest song for latin america btw, very anti-war etc. i think i put in a live version and you'll be able to tell how everybody's all excited.

14. blue moon revisited (a song for elvis), cowboy junkies [richard rodgers and lorenz hart, 1934, it’s sort of a cheat because it’s a cover with some extra stuff]

15. hasta siempre, (until always) hector napolitano –media gamba que no juega- [carlos puebla, cuba 1965]- this is the marxist hymn for che guevara sung by an ecuadorian singer, so it’s actually a cover and a local song. so i couldn't resist.

The covers were hard for me and you’ll notice I used 3 albums twice each. Um. Yes, that’s it. Which is sort of cheating, but those were the only ones I could get to work.

I’ll post the other ‘local’cd tomorrow…. [not entirely local]
steven, my crazy reaction is due to the fact that my mp3 collection feels very small compared to yours... so i don't always do double cd's, much less triple! i'll have to listen to them tomorrow since first day crazyness was compounded with german exam and i've been running around way too much for my first day back from a vacation.

Sep 3, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

for the cd swapping gurls of archinect. and because its SePtEmBeR...

Sep 3, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
aml

thanks vado! and here's the other one:

Local mix
… yes… er should have told you to lower the volume on the start of this one. Tomback is an all drum group after all.
1. Patacuncun pra, tomback [quito, ecuador]
2. Pasar desapercibido, ave guarapo [guayaquil, ecuador!]
3. So nice (summer samba), bebel gilberto [brasil] –because it’s a summer mix. See?
4. Bolon de verde, hector napolitano [guayaquil, ecuador!].

[verde means both green and green plantain. bolon de verde is a typical soup with a stuffed plantain thing. this song plays with double meanings and changes in the middle from a tender love song to a song about food and music.]

5. Unos cuantos pocos (a few), ave guarapo
6. A summer song, chad and jeremy [because it’s summer]
7. Tabaco y chanel, bacilos [colombia]
8. Depende, jarabe de palo [spain]
9. Surf rider, lively ones [also summer-y]
10. Radio swing, tomback
11. La flaca, jarabe de palo
12. Gringa loca, hector napolitano y hugo idrovo [yes the title means crazy gringa. The lyrics are sort of dum- it’s just a fun song]
13. Reggae tomback, tomback
14. De aquella vez, ave guarapo
15. El rio, café tacuba [mexico]
16. Milonga del marinero y el capitan, los rodriguez [argentina]

Ok so I only had 3 ecuadorian albums to choose from… so this was also hard, but it’s difficult to find good groups in such a small country. We really are very small.

Sep 4, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Okay The Aquino has received his mix and so I will post the results...

Shallow Grave (Covers CD)

1. My Roots- Money/ Messin’ With The Kid- Todd Rundgren
2. The Heart Of The City-Dave Edmunds
3. Train Kept A Rollin- Alex Chilton
4. Stranded In The Jungle- The New York Dolls
5. It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City- David Bowie
6. Life On Mars- Seu Jorge
7. I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself- Elvis Costello
8. Poor Side Of Town- Nick Lowe
9. Hot Burrito #1- The Mavericks
10. The Dark End Of The Street- The Flying Burrito Brothers
11. Tupelo Honey- Dusty Springfield
12. Bring It On Home- Otis Redding/Carla Thomas
13. Eleanor Rigby- Ray Charles
14. Back In The High Life Again- Warren Zevon
15. I Want You Back- Graham Parker
16. Sexual Healing- Soul Asylum
17. Stop Your Sobbing- Pretenders
18. Sweet Jane- Mott The Hoople
19. Black Diamond- The Replacements
20. Slut/Venus/I’m Eighteen Medley- Vado Retro

Sep 7, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

good one, vado. love raul malo's voice in that mavericks version of hot burrito #1.

Sep 7, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks steven, yeah and the fact its such a great song....and don't forget my voice on track 20. live at new prairie high school circa 1976.

Sep 7, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
aml

steven, i'm digging your mix and now i can agree that raul malo's voice is very cool and i do think he sells that huckleberry friend line way better than most.

i actually have one of the songs in your mix [the sonic youth one] but didn't know it was a cover... other than that, some familiar songs but hadn't heard those covers which is cool. although i bet you were not aware i was raised in a peter paul and mary/ bob dylan/ beatles/ sinatra music diet on family road trips as a kid.

Sep 7, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml :) how are you my huckleberry friend?

Sep 7, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

glad you're enjoying it, aml. vado had actually put the carpenter's versions of 'superstar' on one of his recent mixes!

also glad you knew some of the originals. covers are twice as fun if you know the reference.

Sep 8, 07 6:48 am  · 
 · 
aml

hi vado, i'm adapting to this new semester schedule. i'm teaching two studios back to back, sort of tiring but not as hard as i thougth it would be.

steven, i'm going to go google the carpenter version to hear the original. vado, i've never gotten a cd from you [nudge, nudge, wink, wink, quixotica].

Sep 8, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml. you know you're a SuPeRsTaR doncha???

Sep 8, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
aml

cool thanks vado!

Sep 8, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Vadoness, I'm listening to your cd. Thanks.

PS. I like that you included a sound clip of Little Richie. Did I mention I was in an elevator with him a few weeks ago?

Sep 12, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

did he sing good gualy miss molly??? to you???

Sep 12, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

i don't think i'll be getting one this time ... so i'm ready for the next one! let's go for # ....um.... 7? 8?

Sep 13, 07 7:16 am  · 
 · 
n_

He was wearing a gold lyrca jumpsuit-type-thing with sequence accents.

It was surreal.

Sep 13, 07 7:56 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

quix: I've FINALLY got your CD done....I just need the address.

Oct 9, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

hey ho
lets go
hey ho
lets go

(next, please!)

Oct 10, 07 7:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like soul harvest as a direction. it being harvest time.

Oct 10, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 

what, are you trying to subject me to more neil young?!

Oct 10, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
n_

I may have to call it quits this round. Freelance is biting my ass.

I'll try to pick up the following round.

Oct 10, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

did i see you down in young girls' town?

Oct 10, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Vado: I just unearthed your disc from the mountain of drawings on my desk...Ray Charles' Eleanor Rigby is friggin awesome.

Thanks!

Oct 10, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

On August 3rd I sent the following email to n_:

Hi n_.........I need your address. That will be step #1 in the drawn out multi-phased process of procrastination that will eventually lead to me sending you a CD.

Eleven weeks later, the CD is in the mail!!!! Keep your eyes on the mailbox, n_. I had to finally give up on doing a cool cover like the awesome screen-printed one you made for me. I did, however, include stickers.

OK - I'm ready for Round 7!!

Oct 16, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks aquino!!!enjoy!!!

Oct 16, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
n_

Yay for mail! I'll be on the lookout. Thanks.

Oct 16, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Hi Vadoness.

Oct 16, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Liberty, I checked my mailbox this morning and, lo and behold, I saw your packag lodged in the corner. I've been listening to it all day.

Listened to both cds (aml - she sent yours, too) and I totally approve. I'm obsessed with the Never, Never Gonna Give You Up cover.

Gracias.

Oct 18, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Freelance Is Biting My Ass should be the theme of the next swap!!!

Oct 18, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

right I think I want to join in all of this madness. I'm not too sure what kind of cd to make but I have a few ideas. If anyone wants a special mix let me know...and let me know what you like too.

Is this legal, is that how its done? Or do I have to wait my turn

Oct 18, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

quixotica is the decider. he does the decisioning.

Oct 18, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

hello. hello. is this thing on?!

time to get one last swap in before the new year. new music for '08!

who's in? i'll collect names and make assignments if quix doesn't come back around.

Nov 6, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I have tons of music just laying around...but Ill never get around to putting something in the mail...Last time I signed up for this my person never got their CD...and I never got mine either sooooo.........

Nov 6, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

i didn't get one last time either but no discouraging words, wAtS.

come on, people!

Nov 6, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, did I copy you on my last disc to n_?
n_, did you get it either?

I'm ready for round 7!!

Nov 6, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

yes, i've gotten one each time from liberty! thanks!

Nov 6, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I emailed Quixotica for his/her address and never heard back. Anyone interested in my Cover mix?

I too am ready for round 7...

Nov 6, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Liberty, yes, I received it!

I thanked you for it a few posts up. In fact, its on rotation with me and one of my coworkers. Thanks again. It's superb.

Nov 6, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wonder if the best of rob thomas is in rotation????

Nov 6, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
n_

The Best of Rob Thomas will always be in rotation.

I'm obsessed with the Cecil Grant song. Obsessed.

Nov 6, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Eek, sorry I missed your post, n_. Glad you're n_joying the music!

So - awhile back (or as Angus says when referring to events in the past: "A long time ago, but not too long ago..." - should I teach him the word "recently"?) vado suggested "Soul Crush" or something similar for a swap theme. I like it.

I'm hearing the BeeGees in the cafe where I currently sit. It's fun.

Nov 6, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder which BeeGees song that was...

Nov 9, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: