Archinect
anchor

debbie doom ..

sterling hall

ive been a@ a new job that i like a great deal / good responsibilities etc -

except for the fact that i am isolated working in a separate room with 'debbie doom' - a real burnt out angry mean overweight architect.

i tried t get her on the 'up' side but after 2 months i just got sick of that. also tired of her personal phone calls .. bare feet .. general negative meaness ...

i wear my headphones non-stop + turned my monitor but my desk assignment is RIGHT next to her ..

any good advice on how i can survive this ?

thanks

Jul 8, 04 12:08 am
mdler

Start eating things that will give you retched gas. pass gas all day long at your desk. place a fan next to your chair, blowing your stank in her direction

Jul 8, 04 12:31 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

"i tried t get her on the 'up' side".
sorry pal, you went for the wrong side. if it is the same dd, you ain't seen nothin' yet. there is a reason why they put you next to her. you are probably too nice to understand any of this.

Jul 8, 04 12:35 am  · 
 · 
redchairs

BARE FEET !??!? GGGGGGGGGGROSSSSSSSSSSS! Get a new job - what the hell are ya thinkin'??? BUB-BYE!

Jul 8, 04 12:44 am  · 
 · 
DJ

What's wrong with bare feet???

Sincerely,
Al Bundy

Jul 8, 04 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Dan

try working with one of the project architects on the other side of the office, then request a desk near that new PA.

Jul 8, 04 8:55 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

ask her out

Jul 8, 04 9:33 am  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

Ex-lax in her coffee should buy you a bit of a reprieve.

Maybe you could develop Tourrettes. A severe, nearly debilitating case of it. Tell her it's only aggravated by bare feet and auras of bitterness.

Walk into the office and say "No shoes for you? No pants for me!" That's a risky one, though, it might repel her... or it might not.

Oh, or the next time she gets snippy, turn to her and silently tickle her second chin. That should stun her for a minute.

And speaking of stun, why don't you just get a taser? Problem solved.

Jul 8, 04 10:00 am  · 
 · 
sterling hall

awesome ! ..

( ps she also speaks in a low monotone ; no joke .. just a grueling day .. ) and thanks re the ex lax but i swear, she already stays 1/4 of the day in the john .. props the door open < into our office space > + lets the vent run until it drives me insane to go shut the thing off ----

Jul 8, 04 10:52 am  · 
 · 
mwad

can you post a picture of debbie doom? then we might be able to get a better picture of your predicament. and it'll be funny.

Jul 8, 04 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

wait... does Dumpy Deb frequent the forum here? will she recognize herself?

Jul 8, 04 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
sterling hall

i'm not sure how to 'attach'/ post image in archinet / i'd feel mean posting her image , though it does reek w utter mean-ness. im sure she doesn't know the site, she barely knows how to run a computer .. [ i think she's from the amish country ] .. her last firm drew by hand ..

she does cad w one hand under her chin + uses her pointing finger on the other hand one @ time on the keyboard..

i try not to watch.

Jul 8, 04 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

eat rice crispies everyday at lunch right in front of her, have deaply involved conversations with the rice crispies. after about two weeks of this one day get in a huge fight with the rice crispies and throw the bowl on the floor. do not pick them up, and when deb tries to pick them up snap at her and scream "leave them there, i want to hear them suffer!" if she dosnt ask to be moved to a different location on the count of you being pshyco she will never leave.
good luck

Jul 8, 04 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
redchairs

a little visine in the coffee will keep one away for a few hours in the pooper...........

Jul 9, 04 1:29 am  · 
 · 
calatrava

i will give her an offer she can't refuse.......or else she swims with the fishes.

Jul 9, 04 1:34 am  · 
 · 
dia

Tell her that she has been chosen to have an Extreme Makeover. Buy her a ticket to LA on the company credit card and tell her everything has been prepared for her arrival. When/if she ever gets back, act surprised that it was not an authentic deal, and then get her fired for taking a holiday on the company visa.

Jul 9, 04 6:21 am  · 
 · 
sterling hall

seriously,

how do you cope w someone being so cranky that you have to work with and see every bloody day ? who's breathing down you neck waiting with baited breath for the 1st chance to spew something out and ruin your day.

i'm afraid i'm going to clobber her ..

is there a good way method of letting this stuff go ?

Jul 9, 04 10:47 am  · 
 · 
oregon

just smack the bitch - fuck the police

Jul 9, 04 10:50 am  · 
 · 
DJ

Start picking your nose when she starts talking to you. Then she's shut the f up....

Or try what I do, headphones and ignore her when she's talking to you.

Jul 9, 04 11:00 am  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

Well, if you're squeamish about the taser, then, the only thing you can do is ignore her. I know, it sounds too simple, or you've been trying... but that's really all there is to it.

Don't allow her negativity to infringe upon your day. People like her, who live to bring others down, only continue when they can see the results of their handiwork. Don't show your irritation or broken spirit or whatever.

Listen to your music, make your own personal calls, and treat her with a "I feel bad for you because you're socially retarded and I am far superior to you in so many ways" attitude. Eventually, she'll keep to herself.

Jul 9, 04 11:15 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

ask her why she' so miserable...

or try my general approach to all things (esp gun weilding contractors) - "kill them!! with kindness!"

Jul 9, 04 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
sterling hall

i do ignore her ..

act like i can't hear a word [** headphones are a savior for sure] - but she actually gets so mad she starts knocking her fist on the desk so everything is vibrating + poping .. so i listen to her -

AND last week, she thew a full pad of post-its full throtle AT my monitor to get my attention, swear to g_d / !!

scared the daylights out of me.

Jul 9, 04 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
nameisinuse

talk to your boss about her. if debbie is that freakish, maybe he/she's been looking for an excuse to let debbie go...it doesn't sound like she can be that much of an asset to a firm if she's making private calls all day and if she has such a personality disorder.

if that doesn't work, just build a really, really tall wall between your desks...she should take the hint

Jul 9, 04 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

this is a matter of jealusy on your part.
she makes personal calls, you can,t.
she can come to the office bare foot or however she wishes, you can't.
she is all this and still secure about her job, you ain't.
she does not worry about your distaste of her, you do.
she still finishes her work and they pay her for that, you can't work.there are debbies in whereever you go.
and all the defensive comments against her are worst than what she ever does or doesn't do to you.
and furthermore, they would probably fire you first. so get with the program and concentrate on your work.

Jul 9, 04 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

dude

posticks should not scare anyone.

anywhere.

this is totally leave it to beaver and not my stilo, but have you actually tried the better side of her? as in- get on her good side? split a tab with her at the bar (providing she wont drink you under it)- hit up the lunch spot w her- etc. THEN tell her what you think in terms of her behavior?

otherwise, i see it as any negative action will only result in a greater consequence of reaction....

godspeed...

Jul 9, 04 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
sterling hall

oa,

are you debbie ? barefootin ?

Jul 9, 04 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

if i were you would be history by now.

Jul 9, 04 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

..and thank me for it sometime later on.

Jul 9, 04 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

I wish OA was my boss.

Jul 9, 04 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

Seriously, you should just flat out ask your boss to be moved. Dont play the stupid corporate passive aggressive game. Just tell them she's making you hate your job. If they care about you, they'll make up some "office rotation" crap, and that will be that. Dont just sit there.

Jul 9, 04 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

javier, you shouldn't have a boss no more. only the collaborators.

Jul 9, 04 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
sterling hall

hi kn825, i did say something tactful to my boss, they said that they were doing exactly that, sort of jogging desks @ . they bringing 2 new people in , in the near future . so when they set up the new work stations, which i pray is soon, i'll be able to get some relief fr. .. debbie doom.

the thing that irks me, + OA, id say your correct in saying i'm jealous watching someone completely take advantage of no supervisor present, or in ear shot. though it has more to do with work ethic, i pretty much feel she's completely bored and uninterested, [figit-ing]. while yes, i'm perhaps dumb enough to be working as if i don't do it, it won't get done which for some reason, i don't like either. i personally like being busy. but the result for me is like being next to a very irritating gross 4 year old that you can't parent , all day.

yesterday was typical, debbie d. was out to only drop off a CUP didn't return until 2 (* milking out the mission) , honestly spent the entire rest of the day wanderiing around the office and shuffling about until a 5pm office meeting.

the guy that delegates work was @ so my feeling is really one of i'm not sure how much i respect these principals, they seem to be oblivious, though she does have yrs of experience so they do however use her for that leverage, but she's only working honest billable hours, about 2 and a half per day.

does this happen a lot ? people that bill out to clients for hours + hours that they aren't doing jack on that job ? she bills out for a full 8 hours per day -

[ * by the by, debbie also refuses to use kleenex, she has some strange sinus problem and after very icky sneezing she just snorts it about 6 times, my headphones don't block out the grunts so i hold back gagging from just being very grossed out.].

man i hope those work stations go up soon .. obviously she is very tough to sit next to, it's like a being on bus ride to nowhere with some awful FREAK sitting next to you + no escape .. i try to take it w a grain of salt, but when those snorts, grunts + barefeet come into effect its just an overwhelming nightmare .. !

Jul 10, 04 11:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: