Archinect
anchor

CE or Architect - How do you decide?

aesculanus

I have a couple options: go to columbia for arch, or go to city college for CE. Having a really hard time with this one. Arch and CE are really close but totally separate. What made you go arch? Obviously it wasn't the money....

Apr 9, 06 8:22 pm
not_here

arch = art.
civ e = science.

that's the perception that i've always had. they are not independent of each other, they just tend towards different places.

Apr 9, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Gordon

if you go civil..go specifically structural to have any relationship to archi...otherwise you will be designing waste water, highways, grading plans, geotechnical, hydrology, ect...

Apr 10, 06 12:43 am  · 
 · 
aesculanus

actually i was considering transportation engineering (1 year program at city college) and then perhaps going for a march1. i'd like to design train stations, airports, transit hubs, etc. it connects, no? i mean, especially when it comes to elevated rail, you don't just want squared I-beams like we see too often now do we? they've done some rather nice work in singapore...google it out.

Apr 10, 06 12:48 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i think you need to learn more about each field before you can commit. they're very very different and the fact that you're comparing the two seems to indicate to me that more careful research would be in order.

Apr 10, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
aml

if you're talking about alternatives to squared i-beams, again, you should look at structural engineering [not transportation]

it looks like santiago calatrava might be your role model, and he is both an architect and a structural engineer, i think.

Apr 10, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: