Archinect
anchor

Undergraduate Architecture Programs

haivan

I'm a high school senior, and I've been accepted into the architecture programs at UC Berkeley, UT Austin, and U Virginia. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about how the three programs compare. Things to keep in mind: 4 year programs vs. 5 year programs, career impact, etc.

I also live in Texas, so UT is naturally the least expensive school. But if the arch programs at UVA or Berkeley were worth taking out student loans, I"d do it.

Any suggestions, ideas, or comments?

Apr 9, 06 6:10 pm
AP

I have an idea...although not so original...

Apr 9, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
S

Stay in Texas and pay in-state tuition; UT Austin is a reputable school, so you're not compromising your education. Here's what else you need to do: study abroad and have fun!

Apr 9, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

UT is a solid choice and is a good opportunity. All three are good programs. If you go to a five year school then you will need a two year masters. If this is the case then you will probably go to an out of state school where you will take out loans. 2 years of loans, however, are better than 4 or 5. Going to UT will set you up to go to any grad school you want though so I would recommend that. I would also talk to students at every school and visit each one because it is your education and you need to be convinced that you are making the right choice. What works for me may not work for you. Do a search on here about all three schools and you can also e-mail students that went to each one.

Apr 9, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

whoops.....if you go to a 4 year school you will need the 2 year masters, not 5

Apr 9, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
archinaut

just to clarify: if you get a BArch (5-year program) you do not need to go to graduate school in order to get liscensed. a 4-year program (BS or BA) will mean 2-3 years of graduate school, depending on advanced placement, in order to qualify for liscensure. if you have interests in other fields it may be worth it to go for the 5-year BArch and then go to graduate school for something. also, most MArch II programs (for candidates with a BArch) range in length from 1-2 years, not 2 minimum.

Apr 9, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
walter_

UVa wins in a landslide.

Apr 10, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
LowellDay

I'm also a high school senior and need help choosing between Carnegie Mellon, and Notre Dame. CMU would cost me $6,000 less a year, but I'm not sure whose program is better.

Apr 10, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

go for cmu lowellday! unless you like studying traditional architecture

Apr 10, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

LowellDay- CMU, CMU, CMU. Why is Notre Dame even in contention?

haivan- I don't know about UVa or UT, but Cal isn't really worth the cost for a four year degree. I agree with others who've said that since you'd have to do grad school anyways, take the cheap 4 year and go somewhere interesting for grad school.

Apr 10, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

The finances is a big kicker for UT and Austin is great but from the student work that I have seen in each of the programs UVA and UCB are more impressive. (There aren't any UT alumn's in my grad program but there are both UVA and UCB - that goes for all 3 class years.)

Apr 11, 06 6:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: