Archinect
anchor

current book obsessions

someone who knows me too well and wanted to torture me gave me this book for my birthday. it's a great book, i think, but also very dangerous for a book maniac.

the first thing i felt compelled to do was go through it and tab all of the books that i've ready with yellow sticky notes. then purple for the books that i own but haven't yet read. then...

Apr 9, 06 8:23 am
vado retro

so is it really 1000 books you must read before you die? because if you have to read this book to know what books you must read before you die then really thats gotta count for one. right? right. its 8:30 and i already finished the book i was reading "the irish game" a book about art theft. im sittin on the cafe zino steps with a book i havent started yet.

Apr 9, 06 8:36 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Does the unauthorized Led Zeppelin biography I read in 1983 count as one of my 1,000? Probably not.

Apr 9, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Is Murakami's "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" one of the thousand? I just finished it and I loved it.

Apr 9, 06 9:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

u been with the professors
and they all liked your looks
with great something something
you discussed lepers and crooks
you been thru all f scott fitzgerald's books
you are very well read its well known
but something is happening
but u dont know what it is
do u?
mr. jones....

Apr 9, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

it does liberty .. it does..

do you still have it ? .. can I borrow it? .. .... please?...

Apr 9, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

you know what ? ...

I still haven't read "fountainhead" !!! .. ( cardinal sin ??)

I think I'll go pick up a copy today ...

Apr 9, 06 9:46 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Vado vs. Books: What happened to the cheering?

Apr 9, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the 48 hours of cheerleader posting has run its course. plus one cannot find a pic of a reading cheerleader...oh wait i found one...

Apr 9, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I was just going to mention Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. The last book I was 'obsessed' with.

Apr 9, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That cheerleader doesn't look too happy about reading, does she?

On a serious note, TC Boyle's "Tortilla Curtain" haunted me, and still does, for a long time after I read it. Couldn't put it down.

But all the classics, the ones we're "supposed" to read, like Ulysses and Kundera - I just typically don't really enjoy.

Apr 9, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

sure ive read the unbearable lightness of being and love in the time of cholera but my favorite book of all time is cash. the autobiography of johnny cash...

Apr 9, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
e
Apr 9, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
10pm
Apr 9, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 

murakami: check. (after the quake, kafka..., sputnik...& wind up bird
boyle: check. (world's end, drop city)
kundera: check.
joyce: check.
rand: no!
hammer of the gods: um, no.

i'm actually a sucker for the classics - mixed in with others for fun, of course. this book includes a lot of lighter fare, intended to make for a more well rounded reader - different from those that are about 'THE CANON'. it tilts to more contemporary work as well.

some of the amazon reader's critiques are accurate: it's definitely a little western-centric. but some are a little too picky. among the western titles it does cover, there is a lot of diversity of race, politics, gender, etc.

Apr 9, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
e

here are two that i am taking in right now.

salt: a world history
the design of dissent: socially and politically driven graphics

Apr 9, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
not_here

Principles of Sleep Medicine (a good 15 pound book).... most of it.

that's what happens when you choose a neuroscience concentration at a school that does not offer architecture courses.

Apr 9, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 

i'm not helping myself get through the 1001, by the way.

right now reading:

the broken image: man, science, and society

passing the torch - bios/advice from louisville's movers and shakers, addressed to the next generation, published by the chamber of commerce. interesting because most of these read as if these people are less interested in passing any torches than they are staking their claims/marking their territory.

Apr 9, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
n_

i just finished reading a book called 'running with scissors.' it has nothing to do with design or theory. it has more to do with a gorwing up and dysfunctional surroundings. the book is wildly hilarious but, fair warning, somewhat disturbing.

Apr 9, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

vado - nice high fidelity quote

Apr 9, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

currently reading:

Stendahl - The Red and the Black
Layard - Discoveries in the Ruins of Nineveh and Babylon
Elkins - On Pictures and the Words that Fail Them
Virilio - [b]Unknown Quantity[b]

Apr 9, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

the house of leaves
-mark z. danielewski

Apr 9, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

Just finished The Fountainhead - yay!
Currently reading 9 Parts of Desire.
Next book... Colossus maybe? About the fall of the American "empire." Although I do like alternating between fiction and non-fiction...

Last book I was obsessed with - Middlesex.

Apr 9, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Apr 9, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

The Design Of Everyday Things- Donald Norman
Refabricating Architecture (again)- Kieran & Timberlake

Apr 9, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

See that submit button you pushed to get your article posted? Don Norman says it objectifies women.

I''l nominate anything by Mic Taaussig.

Apr 10, 06 12:59 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Right now I am reading every single god damn one of Elmore Leonard's books. At the rate of 2-3 of them a week, I will be through them all in 3 months. They're like potato chips. Maybe pringles, they're starting to taste kind of funny.

I knew a girl who would make a list of books she thought her boyfriends should read and then make them carry it in their wallet. Maybe she can just give them that book instead.

Apr 10, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

But I'm really exited about the new Micheal Pollen book coming out soon...

Apr 10, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i've been reading this

...essays about Peter Saville's work, an interview and lots of graphic design work he has done for factory records/joy division/new order/yohji yamamoto

Apr 10, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

mmmmmm ...

Currently reading Maximum City : Bombay Lost and Found
by Suketu Mehta

Apr 26, 06 7:28 am  · 
 · 
underage rage

'the perks of being a wallflower' by Stephen chbosky

Apr 26, 06 7:47 am  · 
 · 

Gravity's Rainbow-Thomas Pynchon

Apr 26, 06 8:25 am  · 
 · 
opaquebond

Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid
-AI theory from the 70's HOT

the intelligence of evil or the lucidity pact
-is my mind that blown by the virtual? have i ever believed in a real?

Kafka on the Shore
-japan really is like an anime movie...

Apr 26, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Andrea316

5-Taking a class on GR in Context. Most out of control book ever.

Apr 27, 06 2:25 am  · 
 · 
adso
Apr 28, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
walter_

john hodgman_the areas of my expertise
steven johnson_emergence

Apr 28, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

thousand years of nonlinear history - De Landa
architecture for the poor - Fathy

Apr 28, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Beyond the fiction realm, I just finished "Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner and it was fascinating. I'm a big fan of non-fiction and this book was brimming with interesting facts and studies presented in contrast to conventional wisdom....I recommend it.

Apr 28, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova
The Art of War

- Sun Tzu

May 10, 06 6:36 am  · 
 · 
hibz

i'll second The Art of War, incredible read.

May 10, 06 7:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

im reading "the position" by meg wollitzer. its about s-e-x and very good indeed

May 10, 06 7:45 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

The position ... check

May 10, 06 8:26 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. FASCINATING. It's a look at religious extremism using Mormon extremists as a case-in-point. I recommend for anyone interested in what makes a human being essentially choose to try to opt out of our societal compact (and what can we do about those people?).

May 10, 06 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

brilliant

May 10, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I was away last week with no tv, internet, phone or music and just finished two books I'd been meaning to read for some time...

The Untied States of America by Juan Enriquez, about division, polarization and fragmentation in America and worldwide

and

Goverment in the Future an embarrassingly short (for me to have not yet read) lecture by Noam Chomsky explaining his views on governmental systems, albeit of 1970

I still really need to get around to finishing On the Road. I started it, but never finished it, and some of the passages really took my breath away. I love the romantic notion of America and a youthful exuberance and sense of adventure and the cultural importance of the open road in America, as also explored in another book I love, Architecture and the American Dream.

I really don't read enough, maybe I'll stop by the library on the way home.

Jul 31, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I can't wait to get my hands on DESIGN LIKE YOU GIVE A DAMN.

Also, here are some other architecture-related books worth checking out...

PHAIDON DESIGN CLASSICS (great reference book)
THEORETICAL ANXIETY (great read)

Jul 31, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
tman

finishing up "dance dance dance" by murakami

then sideways-i just got back from a bachelor party and want to read this.

then i'm gonna tackele "nine stories" by salinger

Jul 31, 06 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Nine Stories

is great ... it's my favorite Salinger book.

Right now I'm reading The Glass Bees by Ernst Jünger.

Jul 31, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Le Bon - The Psychology of Revolution
Rousseau - The Social Contract
Husserl - Cartesian Meditations

Jul 31, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

that's some heavy lifting there, agfa8x

Jul 31, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I was just going to say Murakami. I can't stop reading his stuff. It's really good. Very clear, easy and fast to read, but very deep and real with a twist of fantasy. Right now I'm reading "Confessions of a Yakuza." Not Murakami however. Since I'm on the train a lot, I split my time between DS and books.

Aug 1, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: