Archinect
anchor

Last-minute trip to UCLA -- help!

strugs

This is totally last-minute, but I am planning on visiting UCLA on Monday and/or Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I emailed one or two people, but I was wondering if anyone currently at UCLA would be around either of those days and willing to show me around a bit. I totally understand if you are crazy busy, so any tips on what to see if I don't have time would also help. Also, can anyone tell me what courses/studios are meeting those days and if any of them would be worthwhile to check out (and if it would be OK to sit in).

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on faculty or staff that would be helpful to talk to? In particular, I was hoping to speak with someone that is willing to be totally candid about the program. People seemed to suggest that there were some pretty open discussions at the open house, so I was hoping to talk to someone like that (maybe to finally settle the score in this UCLA v. Columbia battle)...

Also, as I am totally clueless about the area and bought my ticket a day ago -- any suggestions about what to see on campus, or residential areas to check out (where I may possible live would be helpful).

I have done a bit of due diligence and read through all the other LA threads -- so now I know that I will get mugged and beaten on my scooter on the 405, but that it is a decent trade-off for the quality of tacos I can buy from taco-trucks...

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

strugs

Apr 8, 06 4:11 pm
vado retro

make sure u check out the talent!!!rah rah rah!!!

Apr 8, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Will she give me a tour.....and show me the vacuum former?

Apr 8, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

she is the vacuum former!!!

Apr 8, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Andrea316

go to the getty center!! talk to students there about where they live. commuting is bad. try to avoid, but if not possible try sherman oaks.

Apr 8, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

in the discussion at the open houose that included a frank comparison of programs, mark lee was extremely knowledgeable and well-spoken about what was going on at all the schools. i'd suggest trying to get an appointment with him.

Apr 8, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
agitated_mind

if your not shy come monday afternoon to see a typical 1st yr m.arch1 pinup...

Apr 8, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
thefission

strugs.....

let me know how it goes.....trying to decide between UCLA and Sci-Arc....I've visted both a couple years ago but its been a while....

oh and I do remember Mark Lee being really helpful.

thanks.

Apr 8, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

thanks all!

I will let you know how it goes -- that is assuming I can wake up for my flight which leaves in a few hours -- sure should've tried to sleep a bit before that one...

oh well -- I'm sure I'll wake up knowing Ms. Vacuum Former awaits me...

Apr 9, 06 2:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: