Archinect
anchor

In need backup suggestions!

Lord Auch

What does your office use for backups?

I need some suggestions for a good backup software and hardware combo. ie tape drives, hard drive. software?

thx!

Apr 6, 06 5:21 pm
A Center for Ants?

the two offices i worked at both had automated tape backups. currently it's a little more sophisticated with off-site remote backing up. don't know the logistics though.

the last one i was put in charge of taking the daily tape(s) home and swapping them out every day. just a simple backup of our network drives

Apr 6, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

tape is the way to go...

theres this company exabyte that makes real cheap and reliable tape drives

Apr 6, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
remonio

There are some good, relatively inexpensive ($1800) tape drives from dell or you could possibly go with an Iomega Rev drive for backups. Your choice may depend on how much data you'll need to backup.

Apr 6, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
e

lord, how much data do you have to back up? how big is your firm?

Apr 6, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

You could turn to the A-Team for backup. They don't require a favor in return like the mafia.

Apr 6, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

yeah, we had a blackout the other day and only the techs (what we call draftsmen) computers had UPS backups and everyone was flippin pissed cause the "amateurs" -sp still had their comps running....the pm's lost all their emails...HAHAHA....b*tches!!!

.......jango fett rules........

Apr 7, 06 2:58 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I just use Maxtor external drives and DVDs for archiving. I also have an IBackUp account that I transfer files through, so I put stuff up there, occasionally.

Tape is just waaaaay too expensive for a very small office, imho. My workstation is automatically backed up every night at 1am.

Apr 7, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I was going to suggest a strapping young lad in a spandex body suit

Apr 7, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

just read this article on a DIY backup server that you can make out of an old computer, even a p-3. has some excellent ideas about backup software too

Apr 7, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: