Archinect
anchor

renege an offer I've accepted?

lit

.....while having a better choice, did anybody ever renege an offer you had accepted?
is there any problem with this.....

Apr 5, 06 1:22 pm

i mean, what are they gonna do? besides keep your deposit...

Apr 5, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

i mean, what are they gonna do? besides keep your deposit...

Apr 5, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
lit

actually I did not pay any deposit to them

Apr 5, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

a guy in my class just didn't show up the first day, so it can be done. better to let them know, of course...

Apr 5, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
lit

that guy in your class is really cool...

Apr 5, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

is this a job offer or a school offer?

Apr 5, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
lit

sorry, it's job offer

Apr 5, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

i say create some drama while you're at it. on the first day of studio, why not flip out and leave the room while yelling, "i should have gone to princeton!".

Apr 5, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

didn't we just go through this a week ago?

Apr 5, 06 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
comb

Read this whole thread: Dilema in approaching Principal about $$,$$$...

Apr 5, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

if you haven't started yet, its cool just tell them as soon as you can so that they can hire the next person on their list. They most likely interviewed others, they would let you go after the first week if you didn't work out. It's all busness just be polite and honest about it.

Apr 6, 06 12:59 am  · 
 · 
steph p.

what if you already signed the work contract?

Sep 18, 06 9:14 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

It's pretty unusual in a US architecture firm to have a contract that includes any sort of language that would prevent you from quitting. In fact that's illegal in many states.
Call as soon as possible and speak to the person who hired you. Tell them that you've changed your mind and won't be joining them afterall. That's all you have to say - don't get into reasons or details. Follow up with a note to the same effect. Apologize briefly, once, for any inconvenience this may have caused. That's it.

Sep 18, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
santa monica

Just because I haven't had any caffeine yet this morning... How would you feel accepting a job and then having the employer call you to say, "Sorry, we've found someone else more exciting. Best of luck."

Sep 18, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

santa monica: it's not as if that never happens. There've been threads from people who've been offered jobs only to have the offer rescinded a day or two later - whether because the firm's project load changes or because they've changed their mind about who or how many they want to hire.

Neither the offer-rescinded-by-employer nor the accepted-offer-later-rejected-by-employee scenarios are good ones, and should of course be avoided if at all possible.
But the bottom line is that most jobs in architecture firms in the US are considered "at will" - meaning both the employer and employee are free to terminate the situation at any moment, for almost any reason (as long as it isn't based on discrimination against any protected class.)

Sep 18, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

the unprotected classes always are left holding the bag.

i have not dropped out after agreeing to anything because i grew up as cowboy, but have had the other way round...hired to manage 2 projects, both got put on hold...bad timing, no money in office to keep me...no problem. is normal. so yeh it does happen.

do what you gotta do, but do it fast. like dentist, sooner done is best.

Sep 19, 06 10:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: