Archinect
anchor

Project managers behaving badly

Living in Gin

My PM's typical MO:

1) Issue a hasty, vaguely-worded directive to a random entry-level AutoCAD monkey on the project team, with no additional directions or guidance. A typical example would be: "We need to do (one or more of the following: the spec book / equipment schedule / door hardware schedule / room finish schedule)"

2) Issue redmarks in the form of illegible red scribbles on drawings that are at least two weeks old, and for a bonus, staple xerox copies of random details, notes, and schedules onto the sheets, with no directive on how they are to be incorporated into the drawing set.

3) Make continuous changes to the design without communicating said changes to the project team.

4) When a project team member attempts to ask for guidance or clarification, get angry and defensive, and say you don't have time deal with it now. Better yet, be at off-site meetings all day, or take a week-long vacation to Italy.

5) When your project team attempts to make their best effort at reading your mind and proceeding in the best way they know how, throw a temper tantrum and hurl personal insults toward team members because they didn't get it exactly right.

6) Issue vaguely-worded directives on how to remedy the situation, then repeat steps 1 - 5.

7) Meanwhile, complain to other PM's and the principals that your project team isn't being productive enough.

I should add that this particular PM is the common element in every badly-managed, dysfuctional, money-losing project in the office. But unlike the other PM's, she has her own private office and a reserved parking space inside the building. She's clearly on the fast track to becoming a partner.

Note to self: Update resume and portfolio this weekend.

So, what are your horror stories?

Apr 4, 06 1:00 pm
myriam

I am my own PM and I am perfect in every way!

Apr 4, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Word! That’s way lots of us that were there are now flying solo or with a partner
I never worked in an office where there were assigned roles such as PA, PM, PC but it sound horrible.
All my jobs have been where everyone carries their own load, helps out to get the project done- I can’t understand why educated talented people put up with that kind of abuse.

Apr 4, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
The Job Captain

i've worked with a few asshole PM's before. the way to deal with these people is keep your head up, and try and act in a more mature fashion than they are. a lot of people in architecture spend most of their careers being pushed around, only to do the same to others the moment they are in a position of power. don't react negatively to this. the best thing you can do is learn how to think independantly and come up with answers on your own, and deal with them less often. and remember to treat your own employees better when you end up as a PM.

Apr 4, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

My PM's actually quite a nice guy ... very understanding and does'nt burden us too much ..

Apr 4, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm starting to take on more and more PM responsbilities and I feel like so much of the time it's about "blame". Most of the time things are fine but if something goes wrong, whose fault is it? This has never been my approach to anything.....the blame game is a waste of time (unless it's something serious, like sending soldiers into an unjust war to get them killed....but I digress).....

Anyway, I try to remember: fix the problem, not the blame. We all make mistakes. It's how we rectify them that makes the difference.

Apr 5, 06 12:34 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

agree with you wonderK ... its not about blaming someone ... but how you solve the problem ..

btw .. PM must be a great step up for you ..

Apr 5, 06 1:59 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

and ,,.. what are you doing up so late ...?? .. shouldn't you be sleeping ? :D

Apr 5, 06 2:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: