Archinect
anchor

Is it possible to work during grad school?

eion

Is it possible, or even a good idea to work part time during Grad school?
Has any of you gone through grad school and tried working part-time?
I keep hearing that studio makes that close to impossible.

Apr 3, 06 7:58 pm
le bossman

its possible to do anything that you put your mind to.

i worked part-time during grad school, and managed to keep my grades up. so did a number of other students. its harder, but it puts hair on your chest.

Apr 3, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

probably something to ask each school with whom you're talking. i was a grad assistant - teaching in a studio - and also was holding down my old job by working 10-12 hours a week. finally wised up by christmas and let my old job go, hoping that i could go back to it later.

so, it's possible. i have to admit that, in my case, it was probably not smart.

Apr 3, 06 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Yeah- but it helps if you already know your way around a firm.... Interning pays better ($12-$15/hour) then work study (federal aid seems to max at $10/hour).

I managed about 8 hours/week for the three years I was at penn. About 20% of my classmates seemed to have outside jobs also. The first year was the worst in finding enough time to balance work and school...

don't count on making that much money to skip getting loans.

Apr 3, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

i had three jobs(two were for design firms, the other my grad assistantship). about 30-40hrs a week + studio made for 110 hour weeks. the thought being that the extra experience would help the job search (it didn't). in retrospect, it wasn't the chronic sleep deprevation so much as the the coke induced 5-day no-sleep benders that got to me. but look at the bright side: i made it out in one piece, now i get to work 90hrs for ONE firm instead of three!

Apr 4, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah but j, remember for some people it is impossible. silly as it is, some people just aren't as good as we are.

Apr 4, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: