Archinect
anchor

Should Bauhaus be considered an Order of Architecture?

Should Bauhaus be considered "Order of Architecture"?

Doric, Ionic, Corinthian, Bauhaus...

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/33916381/orders-of-rchitecture

Jan 31, 12 6:47 am

if you look at differences in the work of those who were the foundation of the bauhaus: no. 

the classical orders suggest a level of maturity borne of evolution of the forms to a point of stasis and consensus.

the bauhaus approach was one of immature invention and constant change. while there were similarities that arose from sharing of information and available technology, the work of gropius, meyer (adolph), meyer (hannes), breuer, moholy-nagy, bayer, etc were varied - and much more exploratory than an 'order' would suggest. 

while these guys aspired to an 'objective' approach, the results at the weissenhofsiedlung (curated by later director mies) made it clear that the range in the work was much more than they wanted to admit. 

Jan 31, 12 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Kos Scarpa Kos

Ok Steven - this is the scheme...

Apr 18, 12 7:42 am  · 
 · 

this seems as good a place as any to share this.

check out this listing for one of the most spectacular houses of the 20thC:

http://www.trulia.com/property/3032518342-832-Lochmere-Place-Lexington-KY-40509

mostly i love the realtors copy: 

Designed By Architect Jose Oubrerie, This Contemporary Home Has A Truly One-Of-A-Kind Feel! Three Levels of Open Living Space Featuring Lots of Metal And Steel Shelving. Modern, But Still Functional, Each Unit Has Its Own Bedroom, Den, Bath, Balcony, And Outside Entrance. Very Unusual Floor Plan Has Great Spaces For Entertaining. This Home Is A Must See!

Apr 18, 12 11:32 am  · 
 · 

It's a master work.  Pictures clearly can't do it justice, but trust those of us who have seen it and seen lots of other really important 20th C. houses: it's a masterwork.

Apr 18, 12 11:37 am  · 
 · 
blah

The house is very interesting but is it really Bauhaus? Corbu, whom I assume the Architect was affiliated with, was doing his own thing... He actually spoke out against what was going on at the Bauhaus.

Apr 18, 12 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

no, william, not bauhaus. just used a current thread because i was too lazy to look for one more relevant. 

oubrerie came directly out of corb's office. he was also dean of the architecture school here in kentucky during the time this house was designed. 

as donna says: a master work - really an amazing house. and still functional!

Apr 18, 12 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Didn't the university own the house? Or am I mistaken?

It's a little scary that this house could wind up in private hands. It needs to be owned by an organization that can preserve it.

Apr 18, 12 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Steven and Donna,

The house is very cool! I'd love to see it.

Apr 18, 12 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

What?! The Miller House is for sale?! When I visited (in 2009) it was undergoing restoration, and was being used as an occasional venue for events associated with the school... what happened? (and what happened to the website - http://www.thefoundationforadvancedarchitecture.org/ ??)

Apr 18, 12 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Not any more I just bought it for 1million cash. 

Apr 19, 12 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Tee002

@jla-x

Really? Can I stay one night there? lol

It is one of my favorite houses in U.S.

A couple of years ago, someone bought Douglas house by Meier. And the funny story is they didn't realize that it is one of the most well known house in U.S. It was on the market for awhile, and I assume that it could be short sale.

Damn lucky ppl.

Apr 19, 12 12:17 am  · 
 · 

i think it was the douglas house (or maybe smith?) that was in dwell recently - fully restored. the story indicated that the owners didn't know its significance at first but, when they learned, they renovated it right. 

evan, the foundation simply couldn't find a business model that could work to keep it going, from what i understand.  their idea was good but - across the country, i guess, but i've especially noticed here in the middle - 'museum' houses aren't really feasible without some additional reason for being (i.e., revenue)...

unless they're acquired by a museum with significant resources like the  indianapolis museum of art's recent opening of saarinen's miller house to the public.

Apr 19, 12 7:16 am  · 
 · 

i wouldn't be surprised, tee02, if you could stay the night for a price. i don't know, and i don't know what the price would be, but... 

of course, you'd have to bring your sleeping bag because it's not furnished (much). 

Apr 19, 12 7:18 am  · 
 · 
DAS99

There should be a non profit co op to buy buildings like these and make them  like 'time shares' for us architectural history geeks. A co op of wonderful buildings all over the world to restore, treasure, visit, sketch and learn from.  Perhaps they could begin with the Rudolph Govt Center since it's 'endangered'. It could be adapted to be a wonderful conference center.

Would be nice to prevent things like what happened to Grave's  Syderman house in Indiana. 

Apr 19, 12 9:03 am  · 
 · 
DAS99

As for the OP perhaps it should be.  However, the same could be said for certain gothic elements.  

Apr 19, 12 9:08 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Maybe the guys buying up Marcel's houses in my hood would want a retreat down your way Steven. 

Apr 19, 12 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

alison smithson once suggested that team 10 buy the villa savoye and restore it into a headquarters for their meetings...

Apr 19, 12 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

Another update on the Miller House: it's been "styled" by a real estate company.

Before and after shots here.

I, of course, love the physically empty but materially dense spaces pre-furniture.  But I'd live there in a second even if it was furnished solely with Libeskind's Van Halen-esque  pianos.

Apr 30, 12 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

>>>IONIC ORDER - BAUHAUS ORDER

May 22, 15 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

R you forgetting something?

May 22, 15 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

...IONIC horror

>>>IONIC vs BAUHAUS

May 22, 15 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

"Bauhaus" is not an Order.  In classical architecture, an Order is a complete proportional and decorative system that, well, orders the architecture.  It is not a "style".  It informs the deep structure of the building as well as the proportion and embellishment of the parts. The proportional systems are typically self-similar, where the proportions of the very small resemble and reiterate the proportions of the structure at the largest scale.  This fractal quality is a key aspect of all the canonical Greco-Roman orders (Doric, Ionic, Corinthian). 

It is very possible to create a non-canonical order, and many architects have.  But it needs to exemplify these qualities.

May 22, 15 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

Not an endorsement. 

May 22, 15 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Kos Scarpa Kos

>>>Frank your remarks are interesting and supported by what we can read in architecture's history books, but... the present is not a history book...

>>>i would overturn the question: what if the present would rather suggest us to review and widen our notion of "architectural order"? The line - Bauhaus - Mies van der Rohe - less is more - etc... has, in the course of time, codified 1 (anti-order) style that, in the end, became an architectural order itself, and the proofs are its duration, permanence, constancy.

>>>Miles >>>tks 4 this thang. Pipe Columns, Girders & Poles......? 

Jun 17, 15 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

>>>Rohe>>>order

Jun 27, 15 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

>>>history >>>rec-order

Dec 1, 22 10:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: