Archinect
anchor

Accepted to Columbia for Planning, realize I should have gone arch....

aesculanus

So this week I got an acceptance letter from Columbia with a $9000 scholarship in their planning program.

But I should've applied for the architecture program.

Am I just going to piss off the faculty if I give them a call and ask about being consider to move into the architecture program at this point?

I am considering accepting the acceptance offer, attending their intro to arch program this summer, love it and put out the best work I can imagine, and then pleading with the faculty to let me into their arch program this fall.

I know, but I think the absurdity of it all only serves to demonstrate how passionate I am about this program.

As to why I applied for the planning program.... well, let's say I was having a hard time 3 months ago and was a bit confused as to what I was doing with my life.

Feedback appreciated.

Apr 2, 06 4:04 am
Guffman

Are any of the classes x-listed for both the planning and M.arch program? Do they offer a joint degree program? One option would be for you to go ahead with the coming year, and by the time next winter comes around, you may have a better sense of the faculty and the department and you could apply to take the dual degree. Or at the least, if you were to transfer, you could get credit for some of the coursework you covered in this coming year. Your planning education will be a big boost to your design education in the long-run.

You could defer for a year, develop your portfolio and perhaps get some work experience where you could get exposure to both planning and design to help you with your choice.

I can sympathize with your sitch. Originally, I sought out for a Phd in planning, but after a year and a half in, I decided that i needed to switch paths, and am now in my first year of a M.Arch.

Apr 2, 06 5:18 am  · 
 · 
aesculanus

The planning program in columbia is housed under the School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, and yes, they do have several courses x-listed. Plus, there are electives (9 credits) in the planning program that I could apply to first-year arch classes.

Now that I think about it, it certainly would appear that accepting columbia on the planning program, then switching to architecture, should be acceptable provided i demonstrate a sincere committment and solid work.

The question really comes down whether switching over like this is something unprecedented. Has anyone heard of a student switching into a March 1 program after starting another program at other schools?

Apr 2, 06 5:34 am  · 
 · 
anon

I'm in the process of transferring b/t schools. I'm a M.Arch student and will be transferring over the summer. It can get a bit tricky, but I would assume most of the issues would be eliminated for you as the 2 departments at Columbia share a roof.

The biggest issue involved with transferring is the transfer of studio credits, which doesnt happen. mIn my research/experience, every school is steadfast in the requirement that all incoming students take the full studio sequence. Rather than submit a transfer application, any/most schools require the applicant to apply as an incoming 3-year student, for example, and work backward from there w/ regard to the transfer of credits (that is, except for the studio creds).

Due to the relatively small class sizes and unstandardized nature of the subject matter across schools (as compared to, say, MBA or JD programs) transferring w/ architecture programs is less common and more difficult.

But you only go around once and if you feel that you'd change and go for design, and perhaps at a different school, you ought to keep working toward that goal and not lose sight of it.

I'm looking forward to my new surroundings and change of pace that will come with my transfer this summer.

Apr 2, 06 6:59 am  · 
 · 
flickbee

hi aesculanus,
i was/am currently in a similar situation as you: i was in a sociology phd program (actually at columbia) for 3 years (it was awful!). i didn't realize i wanted to do arch until about a year in (though i knew soc was absolutely wrong for me) and it took me another year or so to work up the guts to actually apply to arch grad programs. however, in my past year, i did do the summer studio, and loved it, and took to arch courses in GSAPP (if a sociologist could do that, certainly a planner could), and now am accepted and likely beginning my m.arch there this fall. i am imagining some awkwardness transferring between schools (gsas to gsapp). i am hoping the arch classes i took will carry over, so even if i don't get studio credit i hypothetically wouldn't have to take such a heavy courseload. anyway, if you want to chat about this send me an email (click through my username)

Apr 2, 06 8:18 am  · 
 · 
aesculanus

So it sounds then like the biggest issue may not be the transfer itself, but the actual transfer of studio credits.

It's something I think I need to call up Columbia on and ask directly. If accepting their offer into the planning program now only to transfer later means I'll end up spending 4 years there (as opposed to 3), well, that is still a 4th year at Columbia tuition...

Apr 2, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

They will probably ask you to reapply next year. You can also check to see if they wave a joint MS/MArch program .....

Apr 2, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberaceisdead

Whatever you do, do not start attending classes and paying tuition next fall if you don't have the intention of completing your planning program. Those loans are nothing to screw around with. If you were confused about your life before, imagine how confusing it is when you're in the hole 100K four years from now. Talk to someone in the program, which can be difficult at Columbia. Try Loes Schiller (if she's still there), she sort of runs the whole program behind the scenes. I once pleaded my case that I needed more financial aid and she took out a yellow paper tablet and erased my previous award and gave me an extra 2 grand... in pencil! Her power is legion.

Apr 3, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
aesculanus

Just spoke with Schiller. Seems switching over is nothing unprecedented, but she seem to recommend against it, suggesting I simply wait a year and reapply (I wouldn't need new letters of rec or anything, but would need a new portfolio).

*sigh* suppose the least thrilling response is also the most practical. maybe I'll go pick up an MCSE at city college over the next year while I wait...

Apr 3, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberaceisdead

I would recommend you wait a year and reapply. With a decent portfolio you should already have an advantage to be excepted. In the meantime....why don't you go get a job, you lazy bastard! *sigh*. Before you go to grad school you should really have some sort of exposure to what it actually means to build and be an architect.

Apr 3, 06 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: