Archinect
anchor

"student versions" of software?

dml955i

What are the major differences between the full version of Autocad and the 'student' version (if any)?

My wife is currently in grad school and gets killer discounts on software. I'm considering getting Autocad, but only the student version is heavily discounted...

Also, if anyone knows of other student discounted software (Adobe stuff, 3D modeling) let me know...

Apr 1, 06 12:42 pm
tobykirchener

For Cad, and VIZ or Max

The major difference is that "student versio" leaves a water mark around the borders stating "educational uses only" when you print something or render images , but feature wise, its the same as the full version.

Apr 1, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

just about any software shoudl have a student version. This is how it was when I was in school:

FormZ - it was a yearly lease. Big pain in the ass. They didn't get us the keys until half way through the first quarter

Adobe - full on versions, no limits. They just stated "not for professional use". Might have changed by now.

Max - I think it's a full version, but it still costs something like a grand.

None of the ones above, with possibly the exception of Max (but I don't think so), leave any watermark. The only software I know that leaves watermarks is Maya, and that might change now that Autodesk owns them.

Legally, you can't use any of these for business (can't use them for profit), fyi.

Apr 1, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: