Archinect
anchor

limestone for its translucency

Marlin

... buildings that use limestone/marble/alabaster as a cladding material for its translucency.
More specifically, i'm looking for variations on the structural attatchments and the inevitable expression of the joints as structure.
There's Moneo's Miro Museum, SOM's Princeton library...
And, two minutes ago i had my damned drafting dots in my hand and now they're nowhere to be found. If anyone knows where i put them, this would help as well.

~marlin

Mar 30, 06 6:20 pm
dia

Also Moneo's Our lady of the Angel Cathedral - Alabaster Cross.

Mar 30, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Yale Library...now which library is it at Yale....ya the one where they store the old books.

Mar 30, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

beinecke rare books
marble

Mar 30, 06 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
THuh
Hariri's Ba'hai Temple

Beinecke Library at Yale
Mar 30, 06 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

Beinecke again

Mar 30, 06 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

ok never mind

Mar 30, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

nice slide show. thanks, thuh. hadn't seen that much of that building before.

Mar 30, 06 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

Yeah, it's pretty eerie in person......Funny thing...when we were there we didn't realize there was another floor...too busy admiring the walls.

Mar 30, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

SOM library at Yale... Thanks for the correction and the Hairiri link.
I found me dots.
I keep thinking there's some marble guy somewhere with a welder buddy and they built a house that is nothing but a delicate overexpression of thier craft, like one of them Discovery Channel dream houses...hmm... and they've got the secrets...i'll keep looking.

Mar 30, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

after a quick google search:

rene gonzalez, architect. who is apparently real good with the "unique level of critical thinking and extraordinary attention to detail". his self -promotion on the website is annoying but the architecture tain't bad at all.

and

by harry seidler. unfortunately no supports visible...

i remember seeing something somewhere just as you describe but for the life o me can't find it. keep on truckin.

Mar 30, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

...retrieving the posts. Thank you.

Yeah, that Rene Gonzalez image almost should have been the header for the thread. It almost inspires the thread topic. It appears the architect beame too fixated on an idea and the clients went for it.
The material effect of translucent stone i think might be mostly psychological. There's a weightiness to it, it seems, a mass. Stuff you can really break your teeth on. I consider the idea that, given how thin marble is sheared to achieve desird translucencies, if not for the weightiness, permanence of it that, at a pedestrian scale is being used to "break teeth" and be touched, it seems appropriate to use synthetic materials to achieve the same, if not better, lighting effects and building skin.
Good references i appreciate it.

Apr 2, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: