Archinect
anchor

Old Boss vs New Boss

Toby

Have not given my 2-week notice yet. The new Boss says start in a week. Do not want to screw over my old boss and do not want to start the new job on bad terms.......any suggestions?

Mar 30, 06 1:33 pm
FRO

talk to them?

Mar 30, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Toby

Them being old boss or new boss?

Mar 30, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

the new boss may respect a show of respect for the old boss. yes, talk to them.

Mar 30, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
digger

try something like: "well ... I understand you're in a rush for me to start, but I have some serious responsibilities where I am now. I can't just drop those responsibilities and leave my current employer in a lurch. I need to be professional in how I handle this -- I'm sure you'd want me to treat you that way if I ever decide to leave your firm. Actually, I was thinking it'd take a minimum of three weeks to work out the necessary transition where I am now, but if you really need me to get here sooner, I'll make a serious effort to work out a two week notice. Do you think that would work for you ?"

That'll be the end of it ... you've acted responsibly; you've tried to improve your anticipated schedule for your new employer; and you haven't been unfair to your current employer ... there's really no argument your new employer can use that doesn't just look selfish

Mar 30, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

tell ob you can come in for a week after the new job hours or maybe on couple of weekends to wrap it up. if 'ob' says, "no that is unacceptable", then take your offer back and punch your time clock for one last time. don't be too afraid of burning bridges with someone who won't accommodate you for your good will. bridges have two landings...
job changes for whatever the reason happen all the time, it is easy to say but don't get too uptide about it.

in an ideal world your 'ob' should say " thank you toby for all you've done for me, and please wrap it up on few days and take the rest of the week off and get some rest here are two tickets for the lakers game".

and, also in an ideal world, the nb could have said; "take your time for two weeks and properly wrap up all your responsibilities in the old place and if you finish earlier, take a few days to clear your mind."

i would...

Mar 30, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Toby

I understand that compromises are important. I guess in a perfect world both parties can be satisfied somehow. I have thought about the option of working 2 weekends in a row and thus leaving earlier having completed my tasks. It will really suck working 11 days in a row and starting the new job immediately.... I think that I will talk to my old B. today and see what he thinks about my proposal of leaving early and working weekends. I will post his responce. Thanks everyone for contributing...

Mar 30, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

'bridges have two landings' thats one of the wisest things ive heard in a while. great abra, your wisdom is great

Mar 30, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

toby- im not trying to be mean or rude, but stop acting like a pawn!

you say "...in a perfect world both parties can be satisfied...."

I count 3 parties here- old boss, new boss, and YOU. Don't forget to think of your needs from this job situation, if that is at all important to you. If you set the tone as being all-bending to their needs then that is what they will always expect from you, and unless all they want is robotic cad-jockeying they will see more value in an employee with a sense of self.

Maybe there is something I'm missing, like an EXTREMELY tight local job market, but it seems like you are treating yourself as overly expendable and desperate.

Mar 30, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Toby

hello everyone,

Just talked to the O.Boss. He was very understanding. He said"Look we deal with ppl leaving all the time". Although, he was not very happy with the less than 2 weeks notice he seemed to understand.

I gave the O.Boss 1.5 week notice and I will work 2 weekends. This way I am not leaving as early as the New B. wanted me to and I am leaving the Old B. a little more time, but i am giving less than 2 weeks at the end. The "less than 2 weeks" does not make me very happy at all, that in my oppinion is very unprofessional...i guess i will have to deal with it later.

Mar 30, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Well if your leaving and that important to the office that currently employs you then you should work it out and not burn any bridges. But in many cases some people think if you are to leave it should happen immediately. I know if I have to let any one go they are asked to leave that second ( I pay them for the standard period of time ( two weeks or what ever it is but its more about negativity, creating a sub culture of resentment all that stuff when someone leaves for a bad reason.

The only time I think its okay if its say someone leaves due to moving / child birth. I have started a new position in an over lap fashion where I worked at night for a week of over lap... seemed to partially solve the transition.

Mar 30, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Toby

I was not asked to leave immediately. That would have been a nice vacation. No such luck, I will be working 2 weekends in a row.
I know, however, that some offices feel that they have to let the employees go immediately or otherwise "they steal projects" I was told by a former employer....

Mar 31, 06 9:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: