Archinect
anchor

Interior design Question and Design-build Question

Gen. Notes

#1) Anyone ever get involved in the interior portions of a project?

In other words, you design the house in the standard design-bid-build format, EXCEPT interior items such as cabinetry, lighting, plumbing fixtures, flooring and tile is purchased and supplied by the architect in a more traditional interior designer sense, instead of the through the contractor. All items are istalled by the GC's subs, except cabinetry or carpetry, which is subcontracted by the Architect.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips? It seems to have benefits, such as project/aesthetic control, etc., but it also makes things more complicated.

#2) Has anyone ever done design-build in this manner:

a client approaches you for a project, you get to work designing, but instead of the client contracting directly with a GC or contractor, you, the architect, hire the contractor. The contractor is a sub just like other consultants in the design phase, but is contracted to build the building. Anyone ever do this? Any pros/ cons, etc.

I really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Mar 30, 06 12:49 pm
ochona

#1) if you provide the product then either the client consents to not hold you liable for product defects (i.e., you get the client to consent to no warranty on your part) OR you are liable for fixing the problem should the product fail. if you install it then the same goes for the installation. keep in mind -- no client is going to agree to no warranty. so. charge a markup either way. also, you may run into sales-tax issues.
#2) if you hire the contractor then you ultimately hold liability over the execution of the work. keep in mind that if you don't hire the contractor yourself, you have less liability.

Mar 30, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Gen. Notes

thanks ochna and j.

#1 is the method of operation at my current employer. I am aware of the sales-tax issues, but the warranty part I have not thought about. I do know we have more or less went back to make things right.

#2 was spurred because we are acting as pseudo contractors by supplying things, and especially by supplying and installing cabinetry. We are much more involved in the GC's schedule, and in some cases, have to be very careful not to slow him down. Not to mention we lose that 'neutrality' between builder and owner.

So it got me thinnkin'- what would stop us from running a whole construction job? I am not a GC, and do not have the experience to jump in as a full GC, but partnering up with one, that got me thinking about #2....I figured there are liability issues, but I guess the question for me is, does anyone do this?

Thanks again for the input.

Mar 30, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: