Archinect
anchor

Anyone know a shit about the Barch program at California College of the Arts?

soulikeit

I heard it's pretty ghetto.

Mar 29, 06 8:16 pm
soulikeit

so know one knows anything about the Barch program. There's been plenty of hits coming on to this thread but nobody's making any comments.

There's bound to be someone who know about the career prospects if one graduate from this school. And what about pratt institute? Anyone know anything about PRATT?

Mar 30, 06 2:23 am  · 
 · 
chad_c

The B.Arch program at CCA is having it's 3rd year review right now. The galleries are full of a broad sample of work done by students in the middle of their academic career. I'll post some photos tomorrow when I get a chance.

CCA is interviewing candidates for a new chair of the Architecture program, so the coming years should be pretty exciting.

imo, career prospects are a problematic reason to evaluate a school (esp. art & design schools like CCA & Pratt). Whether or not you, as a student, would be excited and motivated by your work has a much greater influence on what doors are opened in the future.

Mar 30, 06 4:22 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

please do post some pictures.

i don't get what u mean wen u said career prospects are a problematic reason to evaluate a school. are u trying to say that career prospects aren't that good for people graduating from art schools?

Mar 30, 06 5:49 am  · 
 · 

what walnut says rings true. it may not be that prospects aren't good so much that it means that it's less relevant than the education you get there. you're jumping too far ahead, soulikeit.

and it's really not necessary to use profanity in thread titles please. in the forums is fine.

glad you're considering a non-brit school.

Mar 30, 06 7:33 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

soreh(sorry). My bad, steven ward. You have my word that i will come across as prim and proper* in my future threads.

*no pun & no sarcasm intended.

U.S $ school - $school = US school

that doesn't make any sense

Mar 30, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
chad_c

I'm not in the B.Arch program, so I can't really explain what's going on here in much detail. As I understand it, after four studios students have to present a summary of their work in a mini lecture and present a montage of their drawings and models for review by the faculty. It over-fills the main gallery space and is a key milestone for the program.

more photos at flickr

Mar 30, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

so no one knows anything

Apr 1, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
R0CA

I just got accept and will be going there in fall 06. I totally agree with whats been said about career prospects. Just to clarify, it seems like they're saying that how easy or hard to get a job isn't as important as the education you get. This is because you get a job based on your education, so the better your school is the more chances you have for job placement. BUT since you asked about CCA specifically, I'll answer. It seems like its actually not that hard AT ALL to get a job afterwards since all students are required to have an internship after thier third year (or somewhere around that time). This internship usually turns into a job for most students once they graduate. Also alot of the professors are still in practice and some even have their own firms. If you can manage to WOW a teacher, you might get a job offer. Really it all comes down to how much you know. If you went to cornell passed but didn't know crap about architecture then you might not get a job as easily as if you had gone to a JC and busted your ass. Just pick a good school and you should be fine.

Walnut: About those reviews. I know your not taking part in those since your a graduate, but I was wondering if you ever did. What is it like lecturing about your own models and designs?

Apr 1, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
jesskleinman

i'm a 3rd year undergrad at cca and that's my work in the photo that was posted by walnut. (walnut, do i know you???)

when i applied I also got accpeted to berkeley and pratt (who offered me considerable $$ to attend) and am convinced that cca was the best choice for the following reasons:

1. it is accredited
2. it's professors are considerably more young and dynamic
3. the level of conceptual development is exceptionally high
4. the bay area is an incredible place to be

Apr 1, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

I was waiting to chime in to see who would post, because I know of a few on here that attend CCA. I considered CCA for undergrad but chose otherwise. I don't believe CCA tops Pratt. Pratt's B. Arch is also accredited. Though Pratt is in Brooklyn, its proximity to Manhattan makes it a better choice, as well as its dedicated Arch facilities ( newly renovated). I think the faculty being more "young and dynamic" at CCA remains to be seen, you should read through both Pratt and CCA's faculty list, look up their websites and then make your decision on this. Beside the fact that CCA has nothing to hold up against PICCED or NYC, the choice seems obvious if you had to make one...

Now I don't think CCA is a bad school but if you had to chose between the two...my vote would go to...
http://www.pratt.edu/arch/index.html

Apr 1, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
jesskleinman

JdesP, my current studio professors continue to impress me with their own work. Carol Moukeiber from http://www.nminusone.com/ and Douglas Burnham from http://www.envelopead.com/

I would also keep a tally of where our professors went to school and how many of them made the migration from east to west ...

New York is absolutely a hub, but I think being close to Asia might prove to be more important in the future especially as our hegemonic role changes hands .. .

Apr 2, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
aaargink

its CCA C!

Apr 2, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
R0CA

haha

USED TO BE aaargink. they changed it

Apr 2, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
aaargink

they sold out wanted to look sexier and erased thier herritage.

still ccac to me.

Apr 2, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
chad_c

The last c is now implied: to defend craft, we must destroy it.

clearly, the admin knows that the implied meaning is much more exciting than the explicit. (or perhaps they don't, and it's just us hipsters clinging onto the resilient handles of a definition the rest of the world has relegated to knitting parlors and elementary schools)

Apr 2, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
aaargink

yeah and in giving in to popular conception its too bad because our arts and crafts history in CA is slowly being erased...

well i guess nasty neighbors and planning boards are keeping that (or anything else) from happening...

Apr 3, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: