Archinect
anchor

Practicing in London

marie78

Does anyone know what it is like working in London? In general, how is the pay/ hours/ cost of living compared to New York?
Is it hard from someone from the US to get a job there? I have an MArch from Harvard and 2 years working experience.

Mar 27, 06 1:23 pm
mcf1983

seems like somehing you would have learned from peers at GSD? A friend of mine who looked into it says the cost is comparable if not a bit more. Pay is also similar depending on experience credentials etc and weather or not the firm has lots of work or not. Good Luck I would like to know how it goes. I am looking into a summer internship there.

Mar 27, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

not so hard to get a job.

not sure how much it costs to live in NY, but london was much more expensive than tokyo, mostly because of the housing and the tax nick. that part of UK sucks, as does the healthcare. NHS is struggling. but london was fun.

i worked for small offices, about 5 - 10 people max, and they all took weekends off and worked 10 to 6, with very little of the overtime thing. From what i hear the larger firms are not so different, but could be wrong.

most offices were happy to get me a work permit, but some will not. not sure of that is an issue for you or not, but if it is best to be up front with it when you go to the interviews.

Mar 27, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

for work permit: check out this one
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/schemes_and_programmes/hsmp.html

Mar 27, 06 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

search the forum- this has been discussed over and OVER and OOOOOVVVERRR again...

Mar 28, 06 8:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: