Archinect
anchor

Good books on detailing

Reason

I wonder if any one can recommend some good books on detailing. I know the magazine detail is a good source. I bought a book published by them on custom house details, which is pretty good. But on commercial buildings, any one knows some good book? Usually you find books with nice pictures and designs. But how to get there, how to make it happen is the problem I'm facing. Anyone has recommendation on how to learn detailing, to make your vision come true? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Mar 27, 06 12:03 pm
thannah01

I have found a good resource to be Building Construction Illustrated By Ching

Mar 27, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
adso

Ford's [i]Details of Modern Architecture[i/]

any book on Carlo Scarpa

Mar 27, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
adso

Ford's Details of Modern Architecture

any book on Carlo Scarpa

Mar 27, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Yes, I got Ford's Details of Modern Architecture Vol1. It's pretty good. But more early modern buildings.
I wonder if there are details on more recent buildings.

thannah01, I also got Ching's book. That covers more basic construction, not a lot of custom details.

More recommendations?

Mar 27, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
outed

detail magazine also has a series of 'construction manuals', which are like glorified graphic standards devoted to only one area of a building. we have the roof, glass, masonry and concrete manuals. the glass and roof are the best of the lot, imho. lots of more generic principles (with illustrations) and lots of specific, recent projects that show things as well. be warned - the roof manual is only for pitched roofs...

Mar 27, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Laru, Thanks for your response. I wonder how can you get these series of "construction manuals"? Do you have to subscribe the magazine or is it a book you can buy?
I also find a series of book called "In detail:" I have the single family one which is really good. I wonder if any one has others and are they really helpful? Thank yoU!

Mar 27, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

straight from the manufacturer as j suggests...

or architectural graphic standards...

also, Manual: The Architecture of Kieran Timberlake has some great detail drawings in it...

Mar 27, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
postal

did someone recommend CHING!? ah god, what is the world coming to!? will no one teach these lost souls!?

i do the 'j'...whatever the manufacturer recommends...

otherwise...use a BMFCJ!!!!

Mar 27, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Thanks for all the recommendations. detailing by manufacture is a good source. My situation right now is more related to design. I have a flat roof, but the edge of the roof is too think with insulations and structural framing. I'm trying to figure out what kind of details will help to solve that, to achieve a thin edge on the roof. I don't think manufacture will cover that.
Architphil, I will check out Manual: The Architecture of Kieran Timberlake.

Mar 27, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

Reason,
As laru said, "construction manuals" by the publisher of Detail magazine are very good, and you can buy them at Amazon, or order them directly from Germany. You don't have to subscribe the magazine to buy these manuals. Somewhat expensive, though.

Mar 27, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

El Corquis is sometimes a good source. look for the issues that feature smaller firms that have a portfolio of built stuff...
(rather than starchitects)

Mar 27, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

"glass construction manual"
"timber cosntruction manual"
"steel construction manual"
"concrete construction manual"
"mansonary construction manual"
"constructing architecture"
"roof construction manual"

all published by Birkhauser ; In Detail series
pretty expensive but worth every cent

Mar 27, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Thanks for all the information. It seems I have to start saving now to get some good detail books.

Mar 27, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

i walk around the city a lot looking at buildings and take pics of the good details. most are too expensive for me to use, but is still a good way to learn. am lucky to be in tokyo and lots of good buildings around.

the japanese mag/book JA does a detail special once a year that is very good (and in English), called "space in detail". they also did a special on Takenaka, which is a sort of higher end super builder (they hire architects rather than work with them) that is known for its very rarified detailing. too over-cooked for my taste but undeniably well thought out and better than most corporate detailing. they do amazing things with steel, and since the contractors are liable here rather than the architects (so what do we need a licence for?) they are probably fairly good from a funcitonal standpoint as well. most archi-libraries will have these in their library.

Mar 27, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
general acres
nightrain

New book from PAP -- Materials for Design. Good choice of projects with clear details. Looks great. The blurb from Amazon:

As architecture programs throughout the country break out of the classroom and adopt the holistic methods of design/build programs, the need for a textbook that bridges the gap between construction materials and design sensibility is sorely needed. Materials for Design is that book.
How does a choice of material affects the form and look of a structure; how does inspired design can inject any material with true personality and zeal. Broken into five sections—glass, wood, metals, plastics, and concrete—Materials for Design makes a thorough study of each material's properties, followed by a series of 10–12 case studies of that material put to imaginative use by today's brightest architects from around the world.
There is no other book on the market that tackles material details so thoroughly while presenting lush, inspired color photographs, plan drawings, and detailed architectural diagrams.

Mar 30, 06 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: