Archinect
anchor

little white lie about experience

dma_coco

So i have been doing marketing for an architecture firm for the last year or so since graduating with my M.Arch, mainly because it was related and a good salary..but now I keep thinking about how if I don't an architecture job, I'll regret it forever..so I've started applying.

However, a lot of positions are asking for at least one year of Revit and CD experience, both of which I do not have.  I've used Revit before, but at a basic level and I've never done CD's.

I figured I'd apply to these positions anyway, it wouldn't hurt.  I had an interview and while they were impressed with my portfolio, they seemed to really want someone to mainly do CD's and production work.  Now I have a second interview with them and I'm really concerned about my lack of experience.

I figure I have 2 weeks to master Revit and CD's if I get hired.  Do you think I'm being unrealistic?  

Jan 26, 12 3:05 pm
brorstein

Eh, if you're coming in on CDs, does that mean the model's been developed up to that point?  Starting a model from scratch using a given office's standards may be a bit difficult w/o more experience.  But stuff like cutting sections/callouts, adding notes, detail views, schedules, int. elevations, etc, this stuff is pretty straightforward if you have a simple grasp of CAD.  Have you done CD's at ALL, or just not via Revit?

Jan 26, 12 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
med.

You can get proficient in the lingo but you will learn how to do all that stuff eventually.

Jan 26, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I have been using Revit for 6 years - everyplace I have worked at require thorough knowledge of Revit - When I was starting out, if I did not know something - I got gigged for it

just having just a basic knowledge of Revit will get you the "folder" especially since there are so many good people out there that do. They just aren't going to mess around with you.

There needs to be serious production level training in BIM, the concepts, Parametrics, and 3D thinking - 

Don't kid yourself - people that have trouble with it, get fired - 

learning it thoroughly will open many doors for you when you are ready - if you are playing with less than a full deck, you will get aced out and you will have only yourself to blame for the long term unemployment you will endure afterwards.

Jan 26, 12 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Archboy

what do you do in marketing?

Revit is pretty easy to learn if you know autocad you should be able to grasp it quickly...I learn it pretty fast by myself...

Jan 26, 12 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Knowing how to use Revit and knowing how to put together a CD set (nevermind detailing a building) are two completely different things. If you are expected to show up day one and start dimensioning and detailing, it will be obvious in about an hour what your experience level is. And it's not something your going to pick up in a couple of weeks. The hard truth is that there aren't many entry level positions out there right now. Firms are cutting their fees to get work, so when it's time to produce there's no room in the budget to bring someone on and mentor them. It sucks. But I doubt it's something you can fake your way through.

Jan 26, 12 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

I would say go ahead and apply to the jobs, but when asked don't lie about your experience. 

Jan 26, 12 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
ct.dezn

Question for OP:

Is there an ulterior motive to looking for a new job? Why would you want to Revit/CD all day when you're in a marketing role, dealing with clients etc?

Just sayin.

Feb 5, 12 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

Exactly, who wants to be chained like a "Computer Monkey", (nothing personal monkies) when you get to be out of the office, wear nice suits and meet clients!

Your in a role that probably means your attractive, young and very charming, why sit in a back room cube in front of a flat screen clicking on layers for eight to ten hours a day, five or six days a week. While the owner is laughing and chatting up the client with the new marketing director?

May 28, 12 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: