Archinect
anchor

Creating PDF's

Hey I'm making my portfolio in Photoshop and saving it as a PDF file. Now my PSP files are at 300 dpi resolution, so the file size is rather large (the PDF is 76megs right now with just 6 pages, and I have like 10 or 12 more pages to ad on).

So my question is; can I just make the files at 72 dpi to lower the file size and when I'm printing from Acrobat just have it print at 600 dpi?

Much thanks in advance.

PS. Are there any good online tutorials out there for using InDesign?

Mar 21, 06 5:13 pm
AbrahamNR

Ops, meant PSD when I tiped PSP.

Mar 21, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
e

so, you want to print a 72dpi pdf at 600dpi and hope to get a 600dpi quality image?

if so, you won't get it because the information is not there. 72dpi is good for viewing on screen but not for printing.

Mar 21, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Yeah I figured as much. I guess the question is, any way in hell to lower the file size without affecting the quality?

Mar 21, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I've always wondered where people get the idea that by converting a low res file to high res, that they'll somehow get the same quality as if they had used a higher res from the start. It doesn't work that way. not with mp3s, not with graphics, not with video.

of course indesign would be the best quality and the smallest files.

Mar 21, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
e

manamana, you've seen tv shows like CSI and Las Vegas right? see that guy a half mile away? zoom into to his right hand. see that blood under his finger nail?

cuervo, you could try 200dpi, but you will probably notice the shift in quality.

Mar 21, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
switcheroo

i'd go for illustrator any day. it can take a little while to get the hang of, however. i'd use photoshop to resize/crop/save at correct dpi, then copy/paste into illustrator. save as pdf and use acrobat to assemble the pages. you might be able to use indesign for all this, but i've never used it. my portfolio was something like 30 numbered 8.5"x11" pages and ended up being about 170mb.

now after doing some quick math, though, it seems as though your file size would be a bit over 200mb, so it's not all that different.

Mar 21, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
e

if you are assembling both vector and raster art for multiple page layouts, use indesign. that's what it built for.

Mar 21, 06 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Naw no vector art. All my drawings are done by hand then fixed in photoshop.

Mar 21, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
e

what is the purpose of your pdf?

Mar 21, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

In all honestly I just taugth it would be a better file format to save my portfolio in, just so it would be easier to work with on the odd chance i would actually have to go to Kinkos to print.

And plus if I need to post it on the web, I rather have it available as a PDF for download, than as a series of imagues.

Mar 21, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
e

if you go to, ahem, kinkos, a pdf is better. don't try anything tricky with them. maybe save it in multiple files so that the file sizes are smaller and them assemble the pages yourself. for the web, save it at 72dpi or consider putting up a website to show your work. you will gain no advantages with higher resolutions on the web.

Mar 21, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
blah

150 dpi is ok for printing.

try it with 150dpi for the color stuff and 300 dpi for the line art

or, if that is'nt enough, drop them both to 150dpi

Good luck!

Mar 21, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Yeah I had tougth about 150 dpi.

Thanks for the responces so far guys.

Mar 21, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Why the f*ck are you printing at 600 dpi? You'll be fine with a lower dpi even say 150. Unless you have really, really intricate line work, you're not going to see a horrible difference when you print. Especially if it's only 8.5x11. Secondly flatten all your layers(images, that is) in Photoshop, this way acrobat doesn't need layer info.
Once you've saved as .pdf reopen them in acrobat and choose file>reduce file size>acrobat 7

My advice would be to keep two copies, one that is meant for web/email and a higher res that is meant for printing.
You might want to try printing from photoshop with distiller, I've gotten smaller files sizes that way before. Although you may need to tweak distiller's settings to get something that works for what you need.

see also
here
here

Mar 21, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Thanks a lot man, those links are pretty usefull.

Mar 21, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

72 megs ain't bad. My average rendering file, with trees and stuff, comes in around 300-600 megs

I wouldnt' go below 150 dpi. If it were me, I'd have one version at a high res, just in case you want to print a page large someday (trust me, it comes in handy having one large document that you can get old portfolio stuff from, years later, without having to find 100 individual files), say 250 dpi, then make a smaller one for current use.

Mar 21, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

adobe acrobat actually recommends 144 dpi as ok. i just finished a 15 page graphic heavy weight today - and its just over 30mb. that makes me nervous though................ Funny thing is that the input files as .jpgs were half that size. Go figure!?

Mar 21, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

adobe acrobat actually recommends 144 dpi (double the monitor resolution) as ok. i just finished a 15 page graphic heavy weight today - and its just over 30mb. that makes me nervous though................ Funny thing is that the input files as .jpgs were half that size. Go figure!?

Mar 21, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

i've had success with saving files as an EPS and then converting to PDF with Distiller...i usually do this with large illustrator files that have both linework and images in them...this reduces the file size greatly (like 60MB down to 3MB or so)...the quality stays almost as high as the original...i'm not sure why it works, but it does...i discovered this on accident one day...

Mar 22, 06 8:20 am  · 
 · 
antipod

The problem is that you lose the compression of the image when you code it to PDF. If you just save the PDFs back to JPG @ 300dpi the pages will be a fraction the size.

Of course you lose the convenience of having a single file all in order and set out how you like. Windows file viewer can view them fine!

You seem to be trying to do too much with this resume. I think the other above are correct, you need one file for printing and another for sending. I still suspect that a simple web site would still be the easiest way to present all your work.

Mar 22, 06 8:33 am  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

It's for showing in an interview thougth, so I need a print copy. I guess I'll suck it up and have it at a large file size.

Mar 22, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

What you could do, instead of saving them as pdf files with photoshop. Is run out to comp usa, or Fry's Electronics(or whatever computer store is by your area). And by a pdf printing software...for like 20 bucks.. then Instead of saving them. plot them as pdfs and it will give you the resoultion you want and the file size wont be so big..I did 28 pages (8.5 x 11) for my portfolio and the file size was a little over 3mb. the software I bought was called "PDF producer" for $19.99. Yeah it wont plot any thing larger the 11 x 17... but thats ok (for me at least)

Sep 24, 06 12:04 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Just Plot them in PDF instead of saving to pdf....
(Adobe Acrobat, PDF Factory, Bluebeam PDF printer, etc)
It will save the file to a good size.. You will get the resolution you need.

Sep 24, 06 12:53 am  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Well by this point I know InDesign, and redid my portfolio in it. Much better quality, and I just saved to PDF's, one for web size and one print size.

Sep 24, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: