Archinect
anchor

Fashion Architecture Taste

spiderdad

i remember posting a link to FAT (the old site http://www.fat.co.uk ) on archinect a couple of years ago... i asked what people here thought of it, and resulted it shock/horror from most people...

so has anything changed? what do you think of them?

http://www.fashionarchitecturetaste.com/

here's a good article on the group's history and outlook...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,585-2085027,00.html

Mar 17, 06 3:48 pm
shock/horror

that they seem to be finding more of an audience.

Mar 17, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

the hobby hut is not that bad- i take one. lots better than the home depo ones-

Mar 17, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

they learned from las vegas, thats all...

i woudn't do that, but i actually dont dislike their stuff, a lot of the work is better than most postmodernists that try to do the same.

Mar 17, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
lekizz

Shock and horror?! Could someone please express some of this shock and horror just so I can understand why? In a surreal post-modernist way perhaps.

A group of us had to give a presentation about FAT at college, resplendent with fancy dress, gnomes etc. We made a spoof mock-up of FAT's group photo too *chuckle*

DISCLAIMER: Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is intentional

Mar 17, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

lekizz- thats pretty cool.... nice one.

"FAT were selected unanimously by the future residents to design 23 new houses..."

i wonder how many architects would get that much support for housing projects by their clients...

Mar 17, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

knowing that i'm opening myself up for attack, i'll just say pastiche is pastiche. worse than the worst of early 80s tigerman.

this stuff will hit for a while and then go the way of supergraphics, blobs, and the seven dwarfs as caryatids. too bad they have to pollute our cities with it in the meantime.

Mar 17, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

(sorry. having lived through this crud the first time, i can't imagine it will be BETTER as a retread.)

Mar 17, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

The world's a very big place, so surely there's even room for FAT people. Besides, there's always hope.

Mar 17, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
lekizz

>>too bad they have to pollute our cities with it in the meantime.

There is plenty of tru visual pollution in every city - advertising, illuminations, street furniture, commercial architecture, fast food outlets - while at least FAT bring something far more thoughtful and witty into the equation.

Mar 17, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

i'll agree that "there is plenty of tru visual pollution..." i'd just add them on to the end of your list. even milk ads on billboards are thoughtful/witty. um, is this any different?

irony has a short shelflife.

^^one of my favorite quondam quotes yet.

Mar 17, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the passion went out of fashion...

Mar 17, 06 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

[bump]

Mar 25, 06 7:49 am  · 
 · 
stainB

Fat’s exhibition In a Lonely Place at the RIBA looks kinda cool installation from the outside... but it's like being trapped in a bin bag once u got in. Conceptually it was poorly prosecuteed and also badly constructed...

The irony for this project only lasted for 1 minute.

Mar 25, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

fashion...well its all about the pocket square really, isn't it...

Mar 25, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

"while at least FAT bring something far more thoughtful and witty into the equation"

sorry, all I see is ugly....I'd rather have people make ugly unintentionally

Mar 25, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

The funny thing about that POMO stuff is that it tries to riff on history but always cleans it up and makes it all happy. Or tries to.

Is it just my dark view kicking in or does that housing project look like something left after the blitz. Shoot that shit in grainy black and white and it could be the set for a remake of some Independent Group film.

I mean, I don’t really get conservatism but, do these cats really want Britain to go back to being a bombed out rune?

Tasteless.

If you think about it, both Jean Nouvel and HdM are totally post-modern. They just don’t try to be all ironic and condescending while actually sucking flamboyantly.

Mar 25, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
e909
fashion...well its all about the pocket square really, isn't it...

and properly sliced cucumber sandwiches.

Mar 26, 06 5:32 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

indeed sir. indeed...

Mar 26, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

The world always needs someone somewhere to question what is currently acceptable in architecture, fashion, art. Regardless of how unpopular that will be with some people. Otherwise things (like the ubiquitous ethos of modernism/minimalism) become sterile and conservative.

Mar 26, 06 7:46 am  · 
 · 

don't like FAT so much, but love their PR machine. they def appear to have that end of things down, at all the levels that matter. gotta respec that.

don get the impression they are condescending. quite the opposite really. cucumber sandwiches? ick.

Mar 26, 06 8:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: