Archinect
anchor

semi-urban Community Center on the Water

Hello brothers and sisters of archinect,

I've been given the opportunity to participate in the conceptual stages of a project, alongside the firm's design principal. Currently we are investigating economic feasability, site organization, site-specific codes, and programmatic concerns, in addition to other fundamental issues...so, having reached a certain stage in our studies, it felt appropriate to propose doing some precedent research - not only to aid in my communication with the design principal, but also to communicate with the client the potential directions that the project could take.

In short, the project is a family health and fitness / community center, located on a nice piece of river-front, in a semi-urban area.

The client has used us extensively in the past for these "family health and fitness / community center" projects. In fact, we're working on a couple right now.

However, this specific project is different for a number of reasons.
-prominent location / siting on the riverfront
-client's interest in creating a bldg with a civic character
(vs. the more playful approaches that have been appropriate in past "family health and fitness / community centers" that we have designed for them).

basically, I'm asking for any help locating applicable precedents, whether small scaled (2-4 story) riverfront bldgs, smaller scaled bldgs with civic character, and anything else regarding the family health and fitness / community center typology.

I've spent a few hours online, and a few more looking through magazines, with a reasonable degree of success. Any further help pointing out firms or specific projects of potential interest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Aaron

Mar 11, 06 2:35 pm
AP

come on...

Mar 11, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

there was a YMCA proposal as part of Boston's Big Dig project - prominant location, near the water, but not on the water... They couldn't get enough funding (cost was approaching 63 million), but it might be worth a look:

http://www.northendboston.com/files/YMCA_Parcel_Book_FINAL.pdf

there are a lot of articles online about this project... i think the political saga of the proposal is more interesting than the actual design, but I hope this might be useful.

-to

Mar 11, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks t.o.
def. worth a look

anyone else?

Mar 12, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

?Monday?

Mar 13, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

I know that there was a study done of downtown Westport, Connecticut that recommended a river front site for the YMCA.

westport

Don't remember if it specifically talked about the YMCA, but might be worth a look.

Mar 13, 06 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks tyvek...

Mar 14, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: