Archinect
anchor

What sketch book do you sketch on?

raul

i need recommendations for a cool and handy sketch book. the one that i had is now discontinued

thanks

Mar 10, 06 10:59 am
SuperBeatledud

computer paper...

Dude, that should be the least of your concerns...

Mar 10, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Try Google
Mar 10, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 

I like my sketchbooks black, A1, and spiralbound. I used to use the Winsor Newton's, but they got discontinued too. The only other good ones I've found are by Canson. Stay away from Proart, the paper is poor quality and the binding falls apart.

Mar 10, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Moleskine and white trace with a nice pen.

Mar 10, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I wish they made sketchbooks out of trace. I realize the binding would be pretty fragile. I have a trace pad and the pages fall out all of the time. I guess you could reinforce the bound edge. Or vellum sketch book. That would be sweet. Maybe that will be a summer project. But yeah, I use Moleskine as well. I like the size and the little pocket. Wish they made a midweight paper though. They have the thin and the heavy, would like something in between.

Mar 10, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

well borders has some fantastic wee ones on sale...and they paper is actually pretty good. All black canvas...like an old book. I have dozens just in case

Mar 10, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

+3 for moleskine.

i use the 5" x 8" gridded pages as a combination sketch/note pad.

i keep billable hours logged, quick sketches and small site surveys, it's small, sturdy and comes in all shades of architectural black.

Mar 10, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

my hand, but when that is filled i use moleskine.

Mar 10, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

9" X 7" quad from UCLA store.

Used to use the 9" x 6" field books. Spiral bound only.

Mar 10, 06 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
d-t

staple steno pad.

Mar 10, 06 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
AP

+5 for moleskine, haven't used anything else for 5 years or so...they look nice all in a row...the pocket in the back comes in handy too. I prefer the thick paper of the "sketch book" version (with the blue packaging).

..since a moleskine sketchbook also has an elastic band to hold it shut, I often have scraps of sketches on trace filed within it...

Mar 10, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
AP

modoemodo.com

Mar 10, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP
modoemodo
Mar 10, 06 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Aaaah!

Mar 10, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
AP
wikipedia
Mar 10, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

+6 moleskine...

(join the rest of us cliché designers!)

Mar 11, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

i like muji. cheap and portable.

not as nice as the mole though, man the one vincent van gogh used is sweet.

Mar 11, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

moleskin
for larger works i have a sketch book from italy that is aprox 12x18. the paper is a heavy gritty paper then i have never found again. it is the perfect texture for a nice muted brown colored pencil sketch. not to many pages left in the old book, i dont know what i am going to do when it runs out.

Mar 11, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
waynenayne

moleskin 5x8 on the go, le maxi 10x10 when home. 6" butter paper and staedtler 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 with me at all times.

Mar 11, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR
+3 for moleskine.

i use the 5" x 8" gridded pages as a combination sketch/note pad.

i keep billable hours logged, quick sketches and small site surveys, it's small, sturdy and comes in all shades of architectural black.

Agreed.
Mar 12, 06 3:09 am  · 
 · 
evilhomer

I like my Fabriano books a lot - i've only ever seen 5"x8" - thick toothy paper, takes soft lead and thick markers really well. The paper colour alternates between white and unbleached white every 20 pages which is a frill but i like it. big enough to get a complex sketch, or a page of good text, small enough to travel with. The bindings need to be reinforced but that's easily done with duct tape. Another minor complaint, it's about 300 pages long and i've never seen a smaller one - it's nice to carry around that kind of history but cumbersome - it takes me around 18 months to fill.

Mar 12, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
cln1

I am not as picky about my sketchbooks as others, but one thing that is required - preforated edges, sometimes you just need to remove some pages and if it can be done neatly, it is a plus.

Mar 12, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Many of you guys are pretty hardcore about moleskin. You should check out moleskin pants at your local army surpluss store. I found some pretty cool German ones, but the popular waist sizes are taken quickly.

You can also find them in those outdoor catalogs.

Mar 12, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
spark

Surveyor's field book - bright orange durable cover, rectangular grid in blue and red

here's a source or look at your local drafting supply store...

http://www.kooters.com/fieldbook.html

Mar 12, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

my friend has this really cool sketchbook by this company called fabrica. it looks like a panel of poured in place concrete, snap tie holes 'n all.

Mar 12, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I have some of those field books from my days as a geologist, I think that's why I like Moleskines. Similar size and feel. I really liked that size back in the day. Used mine as a sketch book after I graduated from undergrad.

Mar 12, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

moleskins are like $15 I just feel so guilty buying those for some reason.. I got
these amazing black ring bound ones in b'dos

Mar 12, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
adso
Mar 17, 06 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.
Mar 17, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
biggz

Rhodia pads are convenient. graph ruled. different sizes, etc

Mar 18, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
archinaut

i use a tiny gridded moleskin for small things - directions, addresses, lists and the like. for larger things i have a 7x9.5" sketchbook from anvil, the paper is medium wt, bright white and has a point grid of very light grey dots on each page - a grid without being too pervasive.

Mar 18, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I also dig the Rhodia...for notes, quick and well scaled sketches etc.

Mar 18, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: