Archinect
anchor

Bike shed

P.B.

Designed a nice bespoke bicycle shed for the project I'm working on but it fell victim of savings and now has to be a standard of the shelf shed....problem is the standard ones I have found so far are nasty pieces of work. So here is my question has ony one used or know's of a 'good looking' well designed bicycle shed for about 50 bikes?

I'm working for a High-tech architect, so something in the same style. No wood...

Cheers.

Mar 10, 06 9:40 am
Janosh

Bicycle sheds are not architecture.

Mar 10, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Not compared to Lincoln cathedral, anyway.

Mar 10, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
FRO

bullshit bicycle sheds aren't architecture.

Take a look at this book for some great bike sheds, bus stops and other gems too small for the apparent architectural giants among us...

Mar 10, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

speaking of bike shed... for those of you residing in the state of colorado, there is a competition for a 'bike shelter' sponsored by the Young Architects Forum Denver in progress as we speak. here is the link. yes i know it's slow-it's still under construction.

fiets kazemat

Mar 10, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

It's not me - I was just channelling a giant of architectural history:

"A bicycle shed is a building. Lincoln Cathedral is a piece of architecture." Nicolas Pevsner - Introduction to An Outline of European Architecture

Mar 10, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

you let some writer define architecture for you?

this is the 21st century.
bike sheds have a huge potential to be architecture.

Mar 10, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

I was being facetious, silly goose.

Mar 10, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

I was being facetious, silly goose.

Mar 10, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
FRO

dconscience- thanks for the link! if I can make time for it, i'm in!

Mar 10, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

oh-now i get it...

Mar 10, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Bicycle parking structure, Amsterdam, by VMX

Mar 10, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

a-f
that project in amsterdam was actually the inspiration for the YAF competition. the fiets kazemat is nowhere near that scale, but it is intended to be a prototype for the city of Denver. the award prize is $500 plus the chance to present the winning designs to city council & the mayor, and we have found some contractors interested in building the prototype. the entry fee is only $30, with a max of 3 people per team. it may sound like small bits, but we are pushing to get it built more than anything.

Mar 10, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Wes Jones did some rather cool - but very BOSS - bike sheds...

Mar 10, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Fiets kazemat???
I assume this is supposed to be dutch.
Looks like a bad translation. Fiets is bike, no problem here. Kazemat does mean shelter in a way but not like this, it is only used for shelter that has to do with war, like bunkers...
So it is the bike bunker competition ; )
Fietsenstalling, fietsenhok or fietsenberging would be used in dutch.

btw. looks like a nice competition

Mar 10, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

There's a great architect/engineer i used to work for in berkeley doing very cool bike storage facilities and bike/ped bridges.

his bike parking is all smartcard operated...you prepay for a card and the lockers debit $ like a parking meter. newer versions can take mag stripe cards and can be reserved from a cell phone. pretty tech-y stuff.

don't mean to sound like an ad of course, but their work is cool. the facility shown on the front page is where i park my bike every day.

check it out...
this.

And P.B., although they mfr. the lockers in berkeley, they're installed currently in LA, San Jose, Santa Cruz and coming soon i believe to a handful of other western region cities.

I'd be happy to put you in touch if you're interested...

Mar 10, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: